Brent and I were supposed to be on vacation this week. We had a fun week planned in beautiful UTAH 's back country and national parks...BUT one of the drivers at work needed surgery so Brent's vacation was cancelled. We were so sad...to say the least...the VERY least!
So instead of having a weeks worth of fun we decided to take a short trip up north for the WEEKEND, out of the heat and still do a few things we had planned on doing...or a version of those things.
We drove up to Prove Friday after work and pulled into town just in time for a late dinner and a trip to the mall...YES a real mall with real stores that have REAL clothes...and a variety to choose from. As you know we LACK shopping in St George...we really are unfortunate and I was reminded of that as I spent 30 minutes in F XXI alone.
That night we went back to our hotel and relaxed.
Saturday morning we woke early, had a little breakfast and drove to the Y Mount Trail Head. Brent has never "Hiked the Y" before and I haven't done it since freshman year when Kori, Steve Anderson and I hiked the face instead of the trail. I didn't remember it being a very hard hike however Brent and I were a little winded and sweating by turn 2.
It was a gorgeous hiking day...overcast, a bit chilly and even a few rain drops fell on us and we reached the top and looked over the entire city.
After our hike we went back to our hotel, got cleaned up and went to the BYU bookstore. I am sure I say this every time but I have THE BEST memories of the Wilkinson Center. I remember meeting there for opening ceremonies of EFY, dances and firesides...I remember running into friends and weekly Wednesday Navajo Taco lunches at the Cougareat! (sorry the picture is blurry). I just LOVE that building. I feel so happy inside the minute I step through the doors.
We spend some time shopping and Brent bought a new Y hat.
After that we made a run to the BYU Creamery...for the BEST ice cream ever!
It was PACKED. We waited in line for 45 minutes. Brent got "Bronco's Cocoa Bean" which turned out to be DELICIOUS and I was sad that I hadn't picked that as well.
After letting our guts relax a bit and spending some time curled up in bed reading and watching "The Hatfield's and McCoy's" we walked across the street to UVU for the Orem Owlz game. Front row seats! Can't get better than that.
Sunday morning I ran through the streets of Orem...flooded with memories both good and bad...mostly good. I ran by the dentist office I was at when the tragic events of 9-11 happened, I ran by the apartments of the UVSC soccer team we spent most of our time with freshman year, I ran by the stake center we met at for the youth conference I attended with my YW presidency the year I was getting divorced and it literally brought the spirit back into my life, I ran by the Sizzler I spent two nights a week at eating steak and all-you-can-eat shrimp while pregnant with Savanna and I ran looking across at Utah Lake where I was permanently scarred (literally) in a wake boarding accident while pregnant with Gavin...I have the scar on my forehead and the dent in my skull to prove it! It was a good run and I appreciated where I am NOW verses where I was when I last lived in that town. Oh how things change when you have faith in the Lord and try to live righteously. I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the blessings that have brought so much happiness back into my life. I then I ran back to the hotel...to my greatest blessing of all and we drove home together!
It was a much needed trip, relaxing and FUN. Which made it even harder coming back to work this morning!





4 comments:
Ahhh... Good ol' Utah Lake (pond/mud puddle). When you say you got scarred there permanently, I thought you were going to say you ripped your polly. LOL! I guess a dent in the head is better?? ;)
Hooray for vacations! I live for em. :)
Hey! Glad you had fun in our happy valley! The weather was pretty nice! I feel the same way about the good ol' BYU Bookstore. It brings back so many memories...most of them good. The Creamery ice cream is the best it what a line! You can also go into the Cannon Center and buy it there, for future reference.
I have never hiked the Y. I always thought I'd like to but never have. Would I die?
I'm so sorry that Brent's vaca was terminated. But sounds like you made lemonade out of your lemons and had a great time. I am glad that you were able to reminisce and not fall apart. There are certain parts of Provo, I can't even go near. And I am jealous that you hiked the Y. That is one of the items on my "doable" bucket list.
Sorry you are back to work.
I am so sorry to hear about Brent not getting the time off for the vacation that you had planned but it still sounds like you guys had a great little get away this weekend. Brian and I are in DESPERATE need of a vaca but I'm not sure if or when it will happen any time soon.
I have only been to Provo three times in my whole life but I have to say that all three times have great memories for me. I also absolutely LOVE the feeling that I feel when I am in that town and on that BYU campus. It feels like home to me and I've never attended school there or lived there but it feels like home.
I'm glad you and Brent got to have a great weekend together!
Love You Guys,
JoLynn
Post a Comment