"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The 37th ANNUAL St George Marathon...and they gave me the BOOT!

A couple of weeks ago I was out for a short run after work in my semi-new running shoes. About halfway through my foot started to hurt a little but I pushed through. The next morning I began my 10 mile run and at mile 6 I was in so much pain I could barely walk. In tears I slowly made my way home. 
I hobbled around for the next couple weeks thinking the pain would subside...I was WRONG!
This last Monday while getting ready for the marathon, standing for 12 hours straight I knew I was not going to make it through the week. So reluctantly I went to my podiatrist, who took a few x-rays and sure enough "fractured". 
He booted me for the next three weeks. Pending improvement.

 After I got the boot and was able to stand, walk and lift again the preparations for the 37th St George Marathon began.
Tuesday I spent all day at the EXPO center setting up.
This is how it looks days BEFORE the runners pour into town.
 I am not sure what I would do without the HARD help of so many wonderful friends and co-workers.
 This sign officially marks the opening of the EXPO...to me it represents 365 days of planning, stress, hard work and a few tears. BUT it also represents satisfaction and completion. 
OH HOW I LOVE THIS SIGN!
 When the doors are unlocked the exhibit hall is flooded with nearly 18,000 runners, their families, friends and community members. 
12 hours of chaos, congestion and excitement.
 I am so BLESSED to have these three as my dearest friends. I have LOVED each and every minute spent with them. They keep me sane and fill my life...and marathon week...with happiness and laughter!
 Mom and Dad came to visit and show support...mom was good to snap a few shots of me at "work".
 This year I was given a few "thank you" gifts from friends and people I have helped this last year!
People are so thoughtful!
Thanks to the Forrests for my 7 dozen cookies. EVERYONE enjoyed them.
 Our annual "YellowPix" Picture. See what I mean...these girls are the BEST!
 After the EXPO Brent and I made our yearly stop at Denny's at 2:00 am and headed to the start line.
We greeted each bus with warm gloves and "welcomes".
We saw so many friends and made a few new ones along the way!
 We left the start and got to the finish in time to see Mom and Dad and Kaci and Raleigh just as they finished to 2.1 mile Mayors Walk.

 We stood at the finish line waiting and cheering for each runner as they crossed the finish line. 
It is always so inspirational and emotional.
 Brent patiently waited for dear friends like Katie and Kaley...and our bishop who he missed. (not sure how...he was watching so intently)
 I patiently waited for these two...my FAVORITE part of this whole event!
 After the race we met up again at the 10-year-club banquet...looking cleaner and feeling EXHAUSTED!
Once again my heart was full of gratitude to my Father in Heaven for bringing these two into my life. People like Brain Brenchley and Tyler Sorenson, who radiate the spirit...not only strengthen my testimony but inspire me to be a better person. A person who is selfless, compassionate and ETERNALLY grateful for ALL the blessing in my life...even those it takes a while to recognize as blessings!
Over all it was a practically perfect weekend. 
The weather was beautiful, things ran smoothly, not major issues and I was able to spend time with some of the people I love the most. 
Thank you to my family for their support and especially to Brent for always being by my side and working hard, even when he is so sick! :)
Tahnks to Gavin and Savanna, who I haven't seen since Tuesday, for taking care of things at home and for all the hugs when I returned home from a LONG week!
Until next year!

4 comments:

Kaci said...

It was such a fun day. I know you are glad it is over and that it was so successful. They just keep getting better and better every year. I am sorry about our foot. But, I sadly think your boot looks very cute. Now, go get some rest.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I know how very relieved you are to be done...well for now. I am so glad that it was yet another success! Next year I'm really going to try to make it up there to see all of this in action! I hope you get some rest this week. Can't wait to see you in next month!

Anonymous said...

Another great Marathon and such a fun weekend. I'm glad everything went so well...no incidents or deaths. I know that sounds like a joke but I really mean it!! I don't know how you get through the Marathon each year without someone dying because when most cross the Finish Line, they look like they could die and, of course, you never know what kind of crazies will show up like they did at the Boston.

Everything was just perfect...the Expo, spaghetti dinner, Mayor's Walk, Finish Line festivities, and all the other things that I don't participate in.

I guess we'll remember this year as the "year of the boot". Sorry you had to hobble around for a whole week, I hope you'll be able to really rest your foot now so it can heal. Thanks for all your HARD work in providing such a fun, exciting, well organized and memorable activity for the thousands of people who come to St. George and invade all of our restaurants,

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

I have heard nothing but FABULOUS responses about this years marathon! Good job! I am glad that everything went well and there were no problems. The weather sure cooperated this year! 363 days and counting ;)