Today Savanna was awarded "Student of the Month" in her Music and Fine Arts class.
She and I were invited to a breakfast "ceremony" to honor the 8 students who were chosen.
Her teacher Mrs Green stood and bragged about how talented Savanna is in art and what potential she has for becoming a amazing artist in the future.
When Savanna first started learning to write she held her pencil between her middle and ring finger. Upon instruction from MANY of her early elementary school teachers we TRIED to get her to hold it correctly. She never did. I soon became an advocate for the incorrect way. I began telling teachers that we were not going to change the way she held her pencil, it was how she learned to write and although awkward it was how she was going to continue to write. She has beautiful writing and like her teacher said this morning "a real talent for drawing...despite how she holds her pencil." Mrs Green even said that maybe kindergarten teachers should start teaching students to hold their pencil the same "Savanna Way".
Savanna IS an excellent student even though the ONLY reason she goes to school is to see her friends.
So proud of her today...and everyday!


3 comments:
That is awesome! Im so proud of her. Good job Savanna. When I taught school of course we would try to teach them the "correct" way to hold the pencil but I soon became an advocate for trying to help them to do it "correct" but accepting what worked for them. After all were all individuals and who's to say what's right for one is right for another.
So proud of you Savanna! You go girl!
I was an elementary school teacher too. "Whatever works" is my motto! I am a left-handed person too. My teachers would always give me lefty scissors thinking they were doing me a kindness. I could never use them. I naturally want to use scissors in my right hand. In fact, the only things I do left-handed are writing and eating. I knit, crochet, etc... right-handed. I had a fourth grade teacher who wouldn't let me have right-handed scissors! Dumb! School should not be a place where you feel frustrated. Congratulations to Miss Savanna and her well-earned honor! Having a few artists in our home, I am excited for you to see her talent evolve and also to see her future works!
I remember being quite concerned about the way Savanna held her crayons when she was a little girl. I would show her the "correct" way and she would just look at me, very puzzled. Finally I gave up. Now that I have seen her beautiful handwriting, etc., I'm in agreement with Mrs. Green...more people should hold their pencils the "Savanna Way".
Congrats to Sav for being named Student of the Month. Huge honor...the first of many I'm sure.
Post a Comment