19 years ago this young man was serving his mission in Eugene Oregon when he came upon the Gonzales Family. Now I will not even attempt to recount the stories he has with the many members of this family. No one but him could do it justice. However I will say that ALL of those years ago he befriended James Wittenborn (the husband of Brandi Gonzales Wittenborn). Brandi was a member of the church but James was not. Brent left the mission field but has remained close to ALL the Gonzales family. To him, and me, they are our family...and ALL of these years James still remained UN-baptized.
Well last week ALL that changed.
Last Monday Brent received a call from James informing him that James had decided to get baptized and he asked Brent if he would come and do the honors.
UMMMM...YES was the answer!
So Friday evening Brent and I caught a plane to Eugene.
You know you are in Oregon when you are surrounded by GREEN and fields with quaint little farms.
I love this state!
The morning of the big day the family gathered at Dale and Stormy's for breakfast. You also know you are in Oregon when poor Dale is stuck in the kitchen slaving away on preparing food as the rest of the family sits on our butts, visits, laugh...and DO NOT help.
That morning I asked James how he was feeling. We are always told that once we make a good decision Satan starts working overtime on us. James told me that for him it was the complete opposite. That once he finally made this decision that he felt relief that was indescribable. I believe that Satan had been working on him for 19 years...he knew it was over!
Saturday afternoon Brent and James met the bishop at the chapel, got dressed in their whites and prepared for this long awaited event. Brent and I joined in while each member of the Wittenborn family received blessings from the bishopric (and Brent).
The place was PACKED! So many members of the ward and community came to witness this miracle. The love in the room was overflowing!
(Brent with the Wittenborn family and the sister missionaries who finally sealed the deal!)
After the baptism Brent and I sat around and visited with all the elders serving in his mission who had come out for the baptism. All 7 of them were from Utah. HA go figure.
(sorry so many of the pictures are blurry...camera phones are not always the best)
That evening the ward was invited out to the Criddle's home, Brother Criddle is in the bishopric, for a pot luck, pulled pork BBQ buffet!
Their home is set up in the high mountains of Creswell on SEVERAL gorgeous acres, surrounded by forest and green as far as you can see. SERIOUSLY breathtaking!
We enjoyed getting to know all the members of the ward, eating and going for high speed, bumpy, air-catching rides on brother Criddle's rhino
It was a BLAST!
It was a short, quick trip but one that was 19 years in the making. One that we will never forget. One that was life changing, family changing and one that finally completed that mission served ALL those years ago.
I was a proud wife this last weekend. I cannot express the love I feel for this man, my husband. This man who honors his priesthood, serves others, leads in righteousness and is the answer to SO many prayers!
Congrats to the Wittenborn family and this step towards their eternal family!
Love you all...see you in a year!












2 comments:
So proud of you both for staying in touch with these good people and supporting James! What a wonderful story! Brent, you were a good, good missionary and this proves that you just never know how what we do today will change live forever, even generations to come!
We were up there too, in WA that week. wasn't the weather gorgeous?!!
Love you both!
That is such a special thing to be apart of. I know that Brent was a fabulous missionary to many then and still is. This is another testimony of how many lives can be touched from one serving a worthy mission. I'm so glad you both are able to be there!
Lots of Love,
JoLynn
Post a Comment