Several months ago Brant and I decided that if we were ever going to be able to run the St. George Marathon, THIS year would be our chance.
We both turned 40 this year and so the St. George Marathon.
As a race director I should have known better.
Putting on an event for 7800 people and also trying to participate in that event is not an easy task.
However no one on the earth has a better staff than I do and I knew that they could pull it off with little to no direction.
So we laced up our shoes and began training!
I am not a person who has ever been a social runner. Running was about getting it done...not visiting along the way. This year Brent and our friend Randy started training together and somehow I opted to join in.
I will NEVER run alone again!
Our dear friend Randy is a BLAST to run with. He is so entertaining and he tells the greatest stories. I never thought about "running" at all while we were training.
A couple weeks ago things got crazy at work...as they usually do this time of year.
Shipments were coming in, storage units being sorted through, issues of construction on our course cutting Veyo Bridge down to a SINGLE lane had to be addressed (a few times), number of bus drivers less than normal...the list goes on and on.
But the week of the event finally arrived and everything started to fall into place.
The girls and I went out for a traditional week of the race lunch to clear our minds and regroup a little.
I could NOT do this event without them.
Not only do they ease my burden of multiple job duties but they keep me sane and laughing even when times get stressed.
This year my annual trip to the start line, to make sure all is going well, felt a little different.
This year i paid close attention to each hill, each mile, each pot hole.
This year I drove up as a runner in addition to race director.
I can honestly say I had my doubts about completing this goal we had set for ourselves.
Veyo Hill seem steeper than in the past, Dammeron Valley's 2 mile inclined seemed longer and the road looked unforgiving.
I was anxious and a little nervous.
A few weeks earlier after our long 20 mile training run...a few days later we went for a short 4 miler...in the middle of that run Brent's foot began to hurt and it just kept getting worse each time we tried to run. We suggested he just stay off of it for a couple weeks and cross train instead. So he did.
Thursday before the race I scheduled an appointment for him to go see our friend Dr. Millward to get a cortisone shot. After a couple X-Rays they discovered Brent had a small fracture. Dr. Millward advised him not to run.
Brent called me on Thursday to inform me that he would not be running. I was so disappointed. He had worked so hard for this race. How was I going to do this without him??
I was even more nervous and very sad for him.
Once I got into the swing of things and the days became so busy... I didn't have time to think about running.
The EXPO set up began, Vendor check-in started and sorting bibs, shirts, stuffing bags etc took priority.
The girls and took another break from the madness and went to a much needed lunch at a new joint here in town.
This year also marked my 10th year of putting on this race.
These two have been by my side each year and have worked their guts out to make this event a success.
I am one lucky girl to have co-workers and friends like them.
2016 40th year anniversary shirts were a hit, trucker hat was a coveted item and reflective runner bags were classy!
The EXPO doors opened at 9:00 am and is was steady traffic until they closed at 9:00 pm.
I did my best to stay off my feet and rest...hahaha yeah right!
My "biggest fan from Austin" Stephanie tracked me down at the EXPO to say hello and to introduce me to two new friends.
I love this part of my job. I love the relationships I make all over the country, I love the bond runners feel with this event and that they call us their friends and in some cases family.
this year was an emotional year because our boss will be retiring soon. This will be his last marathon after 33 years.
The future of his position and our department is unknown and I wake up in the night several times each week thinking about it.
Change can be good...but change can also be VERY BAD!
The next few months could be a little sketchy around here!
After a long day at the EXPO Brent called me to tell me that he was going to run. He had thought about it and knew he just had to make an attempt. He had not put in all that time and energy training for NOTHING!
So Saturday at 3:00 am Brent and I made our way to the start line.
So Saturday at 3:00 am Brent and I made our way to the start line.
Dawn was there to take care of things for me and to help me stay calm.
I was able to see Aaron just before the race started...
and take what is now our favorite picture!
We met up with Randy and our dear friend Colleen just time time to use the porta johns, stretch and shed a few layers of clothes.
The gun went off and we began.
We started out slow just to ease into things...and pretty much stayed "slow" the remainder of the race.
At mile 7 is the dreaded Veyo Hill. a rather steep climb that turns into a LONG 2 mile gradual incline.
We walked Veyo Hill, took a selfie and made it to mile 12.
This is where Brent told us to leave him.
He was in A LOT of pain and knew he was going to need to walk in order to finish.
Randy and reluctantly went on without him.
I felt pretty good most of the race. Not too tired, not too sore.
Randy kept me entertained and never left my side...even when I almost puked up a grape otter pop at mile 26. He pushed me, encouraged me and carried me through 26.2 miles.
Randy and I crossed the finish line at 4:24...with loved ones all around cheering for us.
The kids were there with my parents standing in the finish line next to all my dearest friends.
My dad waiting for me to put my finisher medallion around my neck.
Which then my mom had me take off so that Kent could also put it on!
The girls made me a make-shift banner.
This is a sign of how much they really love me!
I immediately went into our timing tent to track Brent.
He was only a few miles behind us.
I anxiously waited for him.
Then about 50 minutes later I could see him running down the finish line.
I am not sure I have ever felt so proud.
He finished a marathon ALL ALONE with a broken foot.
AMAZING!

We cried a little, hugged a lot, felt dizzy and sore together.
His actual time was 5:12
Good Job Babe!
That night was a the 10-year club banquet. An event i usually dread. However this year was a special year.
My two favorite boys were inducted into the club.
10 years we have been together, 10 years I have met them at the finish line and screamed with joy, 10 years I have been blessed to call them my friends and 10 years we have taken this photo.
I love these two.
They have inspired me and shown me what it truly means to be Christ-like.
The 40th Anniversary St. George Marathon came and went in a flash!
I can't believe it is over. I can't believe we are cleaned up and ready to start planning 2017.
I can't believe that Brent and I ran 26.2 miles and have good enough to sign up for the Ogden Marathon in May.
What are we thinking??



























2 comments:
I'm so so proud of you two! You guys are freaking amazing! I admire you both so so much! I know I could never do this or anything like it!
You two definitely need and deserve a restful get away! Can't wait to see you guys next week!
I am late to the post, but you have me crying! I'm not sure why! What a great example of endurance and practicing what you believe! Brent, I hope is no taking good care of that foot. I am so proud of him, Please pass that along!
Post a Comment