"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, February 2, 2017

You Have NO Idea....


Today this boy got his drivers license. 

Gavin turned 15 on Dec. 3, 2014. Most kids are so excited to turn 15 in Utah because that means you can apply to get your learners permit. WELL...NOT this kid. He wanted NOTHING to do with driving, learning to drive, sitting behind a steering wheel, opening the drivers side door, NOTHING! Too mush responsibility? Too scary? Too much effort? I have no idea. All I knew then was that he was not going to be driving anytime soon.
This worried me a little because driving is really something that everyone should at least know how to do. Right?

Well we forced him to get his permit, forced him to take driver's ed, forced him behind the wheel and literally FORCED him to learn.

Well his 16th birthday came and went....no license and no desire.
Then his 17th birthday came and went. No license...still no desire.

He asked me shortly after his 17th birthday what I wanted for Christmas...A-HA...I thought..."All I want for Christmas is for you to get your driver's license."  BRILLIANT! 

Well this sparked a little fire...a very little fire but a fire none-the-less.

He got a hold of the Driver's Ed instructor to schedule driving time...which he still hadn't done even though he completed the course over a year ago. 
Christmas came and went...NO LICENSE BUT effort was being made and truly that is all I wanted.
The last two weeks have consisted of waking up at 4:45 so that he could go driving with his teacher before school.

After several days of driving his instructor gave him the test and he passed with flying colors. 
After two attempts and visits to the DMV where first we discovered he hadn't taken a mandatory online exam that he had to get 100% on and on our second attempt we learned that his permit test results had expired so he needed to retake the 50 question test. 
An additional $30 to retake the test...later...he passed and ....
FINALLY was issued his Utah State Driver's License.

PHEEEEW!

However immediately after receiving it he said..."I just want to go on record that even though I have my license I do not feel totally comfortable driving everywhere. I just want to drive as needed, when the weather is good and not to Salt Lake."

Poor Gavin, this was such an ordeal for him. 
I am really proud of him though for actually following through even though there is STILL NO desire behind it!

1 comment:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I am so proud of him! Like I am bursting with joy that this boy would First off love his mom enough to basically work to get it just for you! Second that he took this leap of faith. This must truly frighten him a bit. And last that he would not only work and try so hard but that he got up at 4:45 for several days! Good grief, even kids that really wanted their license may have struggled with that! But not Gav! He is amazing! Truly he is one incredible young man and I sure appreciate him and his example! Congrats to everyone! And a Big Hug to Gavin!
Love and Miss You All So Much!
JoLynn