As a parent I cannot brag...I cannot say I am a great one or even a good one on most days. I know great parents...my sister Kori is one of them. At any given time you will find her completely surrounded by her children...whether it be in a circle at her feet while she reads endless hours to them or sitting next to her on the bleachers supporting the child that is playing in one of their many sporting events or just holding her hands as they play throughout the day. Her life revolves around her children...she never does a single thing for herself...she is a dedicated mother and I have always been envious of her. She is a wonderful example to me.
I, however, TRY! Brent and I try to spend quality time with our children, we try to play games with them, listen to them, help them and teach them. We support their various activities...Gavin's piano recitals, his many school projects and ceremonies, scouts, basketball games and we even try to be interested in whichever DS game he is consumed by at the moment. We support Savanna by allowing all 8 of her friends to play here after school everyday, we listen to her write songs for her garage band that practices in OUR garage, I help her write, type and print the many plays she writes for her class to perform each week at show and tell. We TRY!
Brent and I TRY to teach them to make good choices. We read scriptures as a family each night, we have family prayer and we have weekly FHE.
They leave us each summer and I have such a hard time letting them go. What will they be taught? What will they see, hear, feel?? Will they remember the things we have taught them??
Last night Brent and I were laying in bed and my phone rang. On the line were Gavin and Savanna.
Sav: "Hi Mom...sorry to call so late but we called to have family prayer."
My heart is so full of love and gratitude to my Heavenly Father who allowed this 10 year old and 9 year old to feel the difference between their two VERY different lives. Who got together and made the decision to call us and pray as an eternal family.
Am I a great mom??...no, I don't think so...but I sure have two AMAZING children who set a great example for me last night!
All we can do is TRY...try harder each day to be better, to be happier, to be more humble, more service oriented...more like our Savior.
In the words of our beloved Howard W. Hunter..."We must know Christ better than we know Him; we must remember Him more often than we remember Him; we must serve Him more valiantly than we serve Him."
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
You know, I am occasionally touched by things people write on their blogs and I have shed a few tears from time to time but I honestly just BURST into sobbing tears when I read this because as you know, I have shared your concerns about Gavin and Savanna when they are gone. I have also shared your concerns about how their lives will be as they grow older...what road will they choose...because they are children who have led two completely different lives. I am so happy that they are beginning to FEEL the difference in the lives/homes of their two sets of parents. You and Brent ARE AMAZING parents. I looked up the word AMAZING in the (my) dictionary and it says it's a verb and means LOVE and that's the kind of parents you are...the very best kind. Keep up the good work, I know they will always remember how they "felt" when they lived with you.
I agree with you about Kori, she is also an amazing parent who loves her children with all her heart, just as you do.
OK, sweetest blog post I have read this week! First of all, never compare yourself to someone else! Just be the best Mom you can be! You are a wonderful Mom who loves her children. You have obviously done a terrific job! We all have our own stlyes of parenting and the circumstances of our lives dictate that at times. Don't be hard on yourself. I have been very impressed by you Kami!
Secondly, how dear of your kids to miss what you and Brent have given them SO much that they wanted to have it even if it is over the phone! We have done that before, had family prayer with someone over the phone, and it is always good to include those who are not with us. Family is everything, and you have made a very good one!
This post made me cry, it was so sweet and so touching. I first off want to tell you that you and Brent are WONDERFUL parents! You both are so kind, patient, and loving and you both try your hardest to always do your part to get your children back to our Father in Heaven. It is obvious that you guys are doing something right or those children wouldn't be calling you up to have family prayer. Whatever your doing is for sure making a difference and an impact in their lives.
Thank you for sharing this. Thank you for helping me to recommit to doing a better job as a parent. To helping me to go the extra mile!
Thanks again! We love you all and miss you!
JoLynn
Kami that is such a great story! I think I worry as much as do about your kids when they are away. I swear I do not know how you do it. Sometimes I think I am jealous that you get to have a clean house, a little down time, and some wonderful alone time with your spouse... then when I really stop and think about- I know I would absolutely have a come apart if I had to away from from my kids. I hate when they are away from me for just a few hours.
You and Brent are doing such a good job providing them with a safe, spiritual home to live in. You are fantastic parents and I look up to you. I think we had a great mom and learned how to be mothers from her!
Good job Savanna and Gavin. We miss them already.
That is so awesome! You two are such loving and amazing parents. I look up to you so much! ♥♥
I think you are an amazing mom.. Really I wish I could be more like you. You and Brent do a wonderful job together. Lets do lunch while they are gone, REALLY!!!
Wow that was a very touching story. You are raising them up right and you are a great mother.
Post a Comment