This last Monday I took the day off to take the kids school shopping and get things in order for their first week of school. That morning before they woke up I went for a run. I think it was about 5 miles...but as I was running I said to myself..."I am going to go for a long run this Saturday." At the time I was feeling motivated and proud of my 5 mile accomplishment. All week I have thought about this run...I planned my route, talked myself through it each day and tried desperately to get myself excited for today.
So this morning since I was awake at 6:30 and the rest of the family was still asleep I thought..."no time like the present." I quietly got dressed and laced up my running shoes and took off UP hill...yes the first mile and a half is pretty much UP hill.
About three and a half miles into my run...I was now on Bluff street which is one of the two main traveling routes in St. George...a busy street even at 7:00 am...I had finally stopped chanting the words "What the HELL was I thinking" in my mind and actually started to feel like this might not have been such a bad idea after all...when all of the sudden...SPLAT...face first into the pavement. Both of my knee caps hit the ground first and I managed to stop the rest of my plummeting body with my once soft skinned palms...ripping most of that skin right off as the word SHI* screamed out between my lips. As I sat there for a minute, like a dog on all fours, contemplating what the hell had just happened...I burst out laughing...then quickly realized the faster I got up and starting running again the less humiliated I would seem. I jumped back up like an erect human being and continued my run...ripped pants, swollen bleeding knees, aching hands and red blushing face...I continued for another 4 1/2 miles to our driveway.
8 miles total...this may not seem like a lot to most of you...but it was a big accomplishment for this anti-running marathon director!
My heart, my head and especially my knees are thankful it's over!
Happy Saturday to all of you! ENJOY!

7 comments:
Sorry to hear about your fall but good for you to run 8 miles! That is quite accomplishment!
Geez- good for you! Better watch out... it really does get addicting. It is so much better to run with someone, then you are visiting and can't hear your mind questioning your sanity. Next thing we know you will be signed up for the marathon.
Wow! Good for you! So sorry you fell! Don't kill yourself getting healthier, OK?
Be sure to let me know when you are on the cover of Shape magazine so I can buy one! Its just a matter of time because not only are you in killer shape but way too darling!
Good job you!
Oh dear...on Bluff?? You shouldn't be running on a street like that, it's so dangerous. But having said that...congratulations on the l-o-n-g run. You really might run a marathon one day!!
Holy crap! You ROCK Kam! I can't even picture myself running a mile, much less 8 miles with war wounds. Perhaps all those inspirational marathon stories are starting to work their magic on you. Congrats.
Way to go! Not the falling part but the running part. My friend and I ran 8 miles last Saturday morning too! And we left for our run at 6:30 in the morning too! Crazy...we were doing the same thing at the same time! Except for my run didn't include a fall... but it did include a quick run into the local grocery store for a pee brake! Happy running to you!
Post a Comment