I wasn't sure what I thought about motherhood when I found out I was pregnant for the first time. Granted I was in a "not-so-good" marriage at the time and knew I would end up a single mom eventually. But I wasn't the kind of girl who LOVED being pregnant. It felt strange, foreign, almost alien like to me. And I always worried that those feelings made me a bad mom even from the very beginning. Then I had children. I wasn't the kind of mom who loved to read to my babies...or read period for that matter...I didn't rock them to sleep singing lullabies. I was the kind of mom who refused to allow them to sleep in my bed and the kind of mom who let them cry (scream) themselves to sleep. I didn't baby-talk to my children or play peek-a-boo often and when they threw tantrums in the store I just walked away allowing them to kick in scream until they realized I wasn't buying into whatever it was they were dishing out.
Bad mom?? Perhaps.
BUT...I loved those sweet babies more than I ever thought possible. I never knew my heart could be so full.
Motherhood, itself, was rough on me in the beginning...and got worse there for a few years...but I can honestly say there is no other calling/blessing in the world that compares to being a mom.
IT IS AWESOME!
I must say that I LOVE them even more today that I did back then. Gavin and Savanna bring joy into my life every time I see their faces. I love the kids they are turning out to be. I love that Gavin is so selfless and that he is so affectionate. I love that Savanna is full of personality and style. I love that she is independent and that she has self confidence.
I love that at night when I am laying in bed I can hear them from across the house talking, laughing and enjoying on another. This has become my favorite thing. It brings me peace and makes my heart full.
So as a result I LOVE Mother's Day.
I love celebrating being a mother, a wife, a women.
I love honoring my mom, who is such a blessing to me each and every day.
What a wonderful day!
My Mother's Day began on Friday when Kori, Kaci, Mom and I met for a quick lunch at Paradise Bakery. This lunch has become a monthly tradition and I am LOVING it.
Then on Saturday night Brent made reservations for us at our favorite restaurant in Cedar City, "The Depot Grill"
The food was FABULOUS.
Brent ordered the BBQ Prime Rib, which was the best thing I have ever tasted and I ordered the grilled chicken with avocado...which was also very good...just not as good as Brent's dinner. But he was nice to share with me.
We were given dessert "on the house"...a rich chocolate warm lava cake with black berries and whipped cream. UMMMMM DELIGHTFUL!
Yesterday morning after spending a couple hours cuddling with my HOT husband in bed, I got up and was treated to a nice healthy breakfast...and a couple of the hugest cards I have ever seen. PLUS cookies and a gift card to one of my favorite stores.
Then my family was kind enough to take some pictures with me before church (even though ALL I asked for was to not have to go to church)
After church...yes I went the whole THREE hours...we ate dinner and then went over to the Lund's house for dessert.
The entire family was there...every last child.
It was a nice ending to a LOVELY weekend.
Thanks to Brent and the kids for making me feel special and so loved.
Thanks to Brent and the kids for making me feel special and so loved.
So here's to Mother's Day and to this mom...who taught me how to be strong, courageous, self-confident. Who taught me how to recognize the spirit and to love the Gospel. Who has been by my side through all the good and the bad...even when she disagreed.
I love you mom. Thank you for all you have sacrificed. Thank you for being there and for loving me unconditionally. Thank you for teaching me and helping my grow.
Happy Mother's Day to YOU!
...and a Happy Mother's Day to ALL of you mom's reading this post. You are fabulous!









4 comments:
It sounds like a very wonderful Mother's Day/weekend and that you were spoiled and got to enjoy yourself, just as you should! I am thankful for you and your strong example to me. I appreciate all that you bring to the Ellsworth family and all the love and happiness you have given to Brent. Ur an amazing lady and I sure love ya! Miss you!
Cute post Kam. I love all the pictures (not me so much but oh well). I especially love your pink polka dot top...so cute. Thanks for all your kind words about me. I'm not sure I did all that but it was sweet of you to say it. Happy Mother's Day to you. You are a wonderful mother and your kids are proving it.
P.S. Love the Morgan photo bomb!
I love your honesty ! We are all not the same kind of moms but we all love our babies the same. And your kids are awesome ! And I cant imagine anything else with the incredible legacy of love and faith you have! Your mom never ages and I think she is one of the BEST moms I will ever know! Glad your weekend was so awesome !! You deserve all the love back
You are an excellent mother. I really respect people who do not pander to their children's bad behavior, temper tantrums, and demands. I think there is a bit too much of a cookie cutter stereotype of what a mother should be. You may not have sang lullabies and read them stories, but you LOVED them, and they knew it. Why do you think they are turning out as good as they have?? You have simply invested in them in other ways - helping them to find and cultivate their talents, being supportive of them, wanting to kick @$$ with kids that were bulling your children, etc. As a mother, you rock the HOUSE, girl.
Post a Comment