"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, June 15, 2014

BOSTON and a few other states...Picture OVERLOAD!

As you know back in March Brent won "Routeman of the Year" which allowed us to book a trip of a lifetime to Boston. Boston was a place that neither of us had ever been but had always wanted to go. So it was a perfect vacation spot.
We have been waiting, counting the days, anticipating this trip since then.
Well this week was FINALLY the week.
We flew out of Vegas late Saturday night and flew all night long with a brief layover in Phoenix. We waved and blew kisses to our AZ family.
We arrived in Boston very early Sunday morning and after getting lost (for the first time) we managed to find our hotel and check in. We unpacked a little, freshened up, grabbed a little something to eat at the corner cafe and jumped on the Commuterail Green Line T (which became our best friend) straight into the city. 

 We had been told by several people that the "Duck Tour" was a must. We loaded this "Green Monstah" and took a 90 minute tour both land and sea all around the downtown of Boston.
 It was such a cool way to start our trip. We saw EVERYTHING in one shot and learned exactly what we wanted to see again, where it was and how to get there...well kind of.
 After the tour we went to the near by mall and strolled around downtown
 We visited Boston Common Park...which was one of the things on my to-do list.
It is a beautiful park, full of people doing anything and everything under the sun. Playing sports, reading, running, picnicking, sleeping or having some odd theater production in the middle of the gazebo.

 After being awake for more than 36 hours and being on my blistered feet (8 to be exact) for way too long, we went back to the hotel, showered and crawled into bed. Brent said I was asleep in literally 30 seconds and I believe him. I was exhausted.

Monday morning we woke up went running on this sweet trail we found that ran right behind Boston College Football stadium and baseball field. We ran this trail everyday we were there and even ran up on campus a couple days. It is a gorgeous campus, OLD beautiful buildings of rock and red brick. I loved it! 
After our run on Monday and getting lost trying to find the freeway, we drove up through New Hampshire into Portland Maine. 
 We took a little detour off the beaten path into the quaint little town of Portsmouth New Hampshire.
Such a darling little town.
 Once we reached Maine we headed straight to the beach. 
The beaches were so strange to me...absolutely no waves yet they were covered in seaweed? 
 Such a beautiful day.
We didn't think to bring towels with us on our trip so we used ONE hotel towel and cuddled close to stay out of the sand.
 After our fill of sunshine for the day we stopped at Doc's for lunch.
Our cute waitress, who lived in Tempe for a few years, told us that we needed to visit a land mark there in Maine. So after lunch we drove to "Portland Head Light" lighthouse and museum.
 Tuesday we decided to drive down to Pawtucket Rhode Island to watch the minor league team the Pawsox play ball.
After getting lost and a few tears shed by me...we found McCoy Stadium. 
 It was a fun game...fun to see the whole town come out to support their team in the middle of the day.
We had planned to drive into Providence but decided to go back into Boston and went to the mall, shopped a little and then enjoyed us some PF Changs.

Wednesday we drove through Braintree, another darling little town off the freeway, on our way to Cape Cod.
 Stopped off to the side of the road to snap some shots of this gorgeous view.
 Drove into Chatham and visited a couple beaches along the way. 
It really wasn't a beach day, overcast and windy. So we dipped our feet, took some pictures and went to eat.
 We ended up at Ollies, a little burger joint on the main drag of Chatham.
Good food, good folk!
Not sure if you know but Cape Cod is FULL of ice cream parlors...so stopping at this cute pink one was another to-do for me.
Krista's did not disappoint. A chocolate peanut butter FRAPPE (shake) for me!
 Thursday we too the T-line right to TD Garden and went shopping at the Pro-shop. We got some SAWEEEET deals! Unfortunately the tour of the garden was not running the week we were there so the shop was all we got to see. But being there was good enough for me.
 That night was our first trip to FENWAY Park. A bucket list item for Brent.
It is truly an amazing ball park. Historic for sure. We got chills just walking through the gate.
 Thursday night we had seats right behind the Indians dug-out so we were able to see our boys up close and personal.
However they LOST!

Friday we woke up to heavy rain and stayed inside most of the day except to go running...which was actually super fun.
We watched the weather all day...nervous our game was going to get rained out.
We went into Fenway early that day, ate at this delicious restaurant...the Cask and Flagon..and killed time to stay out of the rain...still hoping and praying the sun would break through. 

 Sure enough the rain slowed to a drizzle and the game was on!
We put on our ponchos and were all set for ...another loss.
 Our seats were up in the upper deck that night but the view was awesome!

 Brent was in heaven at Fenway. It was so fun to get to be with him as he experiences this park and this dream.

Yesterday we packed up and flew home...and I was SICK the whole way. It was NOT a good day.

For a re-cap...Boston is AWESOME. People in Boston are SO nice and say the F-Word 5 times in each sentence. Boston sucks to drive in...very confusing, too many one-way streets, crazy non-yielding drivers and their road signs don't explain CRAP! Boston is the KING of Dunkin Donuts...there is one on EVERY corner and that is NOT an exaggeration. Boston isn't as cool as New York but it is definitely close. Boston will forever be full of good memories and I would love to go again someday. But next time I will NOT rent a car!
Boston...a perfect way to celebrate 6 years of marriage to my best friend and love of my life!

5 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

I am jealous! We LOVED our trip to Boston. Seriously one of THEE COOLEST places ever. Tons of history, incredibly clean city, and plenty of places to get some delicious grub. :~D

Marianne said...

I have always wanted to go to the East Coast. Haven't done it yet, but seeing you pictures makes me want to! I love the architecture and the landscape, so different from ours here. I'm glad Brent got to be at Fenway. How fun for him!!

Six Years? Really? That would explain why your kids are so darn big now! I've said it before, but I am so glad Brent has you and Your two beautiful children in his life!

Karen Carter said...

I LOVE Boston and I loved seeing your pics. Looked like such fun !! And you both are so darling. So happy for you that you had such a awesome vacation !

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Okay I thought I left a comment on this post awhile ago but apparently, I just commented in my head. So anyway, it looks like you had a fantastic trip! I went there and to the east coast when I was about 10 or 11 years old but that was 30 years ago, and I don't remember a lot of it. I would love to take a trip back there again. Brian has no desire to go so I'm working on a trip for Brilynn's graduation or something. Anyway, it looks like it was so fun. Happy late anniversary. I too am so happy Brent has you and Gavin and Savanna.

Love you guys,
JoLynn

Unknown said...

fun! i love boston! but totally agree on the crazy roads there. we got lost too. the stadium photos with the dark clouds are awesome.