"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Monday, July 7, 2008

Patriotism??


"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and pride, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees and play on the slip and slide, the potato salad that’s warm and mushy, and hot dogs that no one enjoys any other day of the year. You may think you have overeaten???... but that is Patriotism."


We celebrated our 4th at Vernon Worthen Park for the City of St George's annual 4th of July Celebration...Yes I worked...if you can call work screaming trivia questions through a microphone to 4000 people and having them rush the stage with their right and OH SO WRONG answers for a measly free one topping mini pizza...or MC'ING our first annual HOT DOG eating contest with 15 contestants consisting of a one armed 7 year old blond girl, a face painted fire fighter who ate 4 pounds of salad the night before to expand his stomach (our winner...9 1/2 dogs in 12 minutes), a 6'5 170 pounder who almost won the contest until we had 13 seconds left to go he lost it...literally... and a 350 pound Italian man who hadn't showered since last fourth of July...and anyone and everyone in between!!






That night we went to dinner with Jim and Nance, played some pool, watched some fireworks and just enjoyed our first holiday together...and made some fireworks of our own! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU DID????

Anonymous said...

Dear Kami and Brent

How are things with you..The pictures show you had a lot of fun on the Fourth of July. Marianne and the kids were here with us for a week which covered the fourth. They outlawed any fireworks that would spark this year. So we Bought a big box of what they were selling. When they were lit they just spewed confetti. The kids got some fun out of them. But man I longed for the days when I was young and we had every kind you can think of. The city fireworks are very visible from the backyard so we sdat out there and enjoyed a beautiful display. It was nice and cool with a gentle breeze. Uncle Dean will be here on the 17th to take me to Bloomfield for a get together with the brothers and sisters. The girls will come about ten days later. We will miss Richard and Sherri this year but their trip to Alaska is taking all the time that they can take off. Dean wants us to do this every year about the time his garden is in full production. Just his siblings. He says we don't get nuch if any visiting time which is true. There are always so many grandkids around no one gets to visit. I am looking forward to it. I don't want my family to grow apart. I would like for us to have a family reunion sometime so the others could meet Kami and see what a wonderful woman she is. We could have a lot of fun at the Park Grandpa loved so ,much. The one he got started when he was in charge of the Church Farm. I don' believe you ever saw it Brent.

I have rambled on enough. Love to the kids and to both of you.

Grandma

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Wow!!! How about that? Well I'm glad you had a wonderful 4th of July, working, being with Nance and Jim, playing pool, watching the fireworks, oh and of course making your own fireworks!:)
We are so looking forward to getting to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.
We love and miss you tons!
Lots Of Love-JoLynn

Bryan and Lyndsey said...

Hey what were you guys coming down for and when? Sounds like everyone has been having a great summer.

Marianne said...

Love those fireworks!!!! Wa Hooo!

Gena said...

Forget 'fireworks'... go for the earthquakes! Kami, I can't wait to meet you. Marianne and Helen tell me all kinds of great things. I love you for taking Nad-numph and making him happy!

Love, Gena