
Yesterday May 1st was the FIRST St George Utah Ironman!
We have been planning and awaiting this event for over a year now and I can honestly say it was well worth the wait and intense preparation.
I was assigned to be the Captain over the finish line area...which as most people know is the very BEST place to be at an event such as this. It is an emotionally overwhelming feeling to see these athletes cross the finish after swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and then running a marathon (26.2 miles).
There are days when I dislike my job...not my job really but the fact that I have to work, that I am not a stay at home mom who gets to volunteer in her kids classes, join the PTA, have my home spotless each day, freshly vacuumed, laundry done, a healthy dinner on the table each night and welcome my family home from school and work with a smile on my face.
But days like yesterday wake me up and allow me to appreciate how fortunate I am to have the job that I do. Yesterday I stood at the finish line, with my best friend by my side. Many dear friends and volunteers gathered close together as we watched every athlete accomplish a HUGE goal. Their personal dream come true.
Yesterday was inspirational. Not in the sense that I have or will ever have the desire to be an IRONMAN or even run my very own marathon...but inspiring in a way that gives me courage, faith and motivation to achieve any goal, any dream that I personally want to achieve.
How will I be...my own IRONMAN?
What will I do now, in the future, in this lifetime that will give me IRONMAN status?
I want to love unconditionally. I want to serve others before myself. I want to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. I want to feel happy when I wake up, when I go to bed and every second in between. I want to talk softer, think more positive, react more rationally. I want to express my gratitude and appreciation more often.
I want to welcome my family home from school and work with a smile on my face.
My training begins today! Wish me luck!

5 comments:
This is such an inspirational post. Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to try harder to be a better person, to become the person that my Father in Heaven intended me to become.
I also have to say my hats off to those who were in this Ironman event. Wow that is pretty incredible.
This post gave the will to be better and do better!
Love You All!
JoLynn
I can't even imagine accomplishing such a goal as completing an ironman. What a great experience to be apart of. I was so afraid that if I went and watched, I would be sad I wasn't competing and then go home and set some crazy, stupid goal to compete in one of those. Glad it was a success.
Good luck with your personal Ironman...I think some of those goals are way more difficult than training for an actual ironman. I suggest you take up swimming and start preparing for next year's race instead ;)
YES!!!!! I want to be an ironman too. I will start soon. But I am going to start off slow if that's okay. I learned in church yesterday that small accomplishable goals are a good way to build your self esteem. I think I will start with folding the towels on the laundry room floor. I know it sounds trite, but you should see that pile, it's bigger than me.
This is a great post! Congrats on pulling the Iron Man off so nicely! I love your own persona; goals too. I have been a stay-at-home mom for 19 years now and I have never had your dream list accomplished all in one day. But somedays I come close! We just all have to do our best every day. Thanks for some inspiration!
Such a great post, Kami! So many good ideas, thoughts and inspiration. I know there are days when you wish you didn't have to work but as I've said to you many times, you are so fortunate to have such a wonderful job that allows you to be a great mom and sometimes even have fun at work! I think Ironman was one of those events where you wondered if you were really working. I'm glad it all went well and inspired you to set and achieve new goals. I will try to take a lesson from you and do a better job at setting and achieving some milestones in my own life. Thanks for being an inspiration to me. I Love You!
Post a Comment