"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Monday, November 8, 2010

13.1 in 1:48

A little over a year ago I got into running. I'm not sure why, just thought it would be a good way to stay in shape. After I ran my first race (5k) with Kori I thought I might want to run a few more races and maybe even run in the St. George Marathon. Fast forward a year and here you will find me (the moron) running in the Snow Canyon Half Marathon. After all it was just 2 weeks ago that I ran my first 10k and thought that was tough. And it was only one week ago that I ran 9 miles with my buddy in the ward, Travis. Somewhere during that 9 mile run he asked me to consider running the half marathon with him. My answer to him was not only no but in my head it was a giant HELL NO! But as I sat on the couch last week drinking a Pepsi and watching football I decided that if I could run 9 miles then I could do 13. I blame the Pepsi and football for me not thinking clearly! I committed to run with Travis and the rest is 100% real pain! So do I look like I enjoyed my run? Can you see the pain in any of these pictures? Most of the course was downhill which you might think makes it so much easier. In some ways it made it a fast course to run on. My problem was not knowing how to keep a good pace without going too fast and having some energy for the last 4 miles that I have never run. Travis was awesome to run with. It's nice to be able to talk with somebody and have someone to push you. If it weren't for Travis I might have walked the last 3 miles. He pushed me the last couple of miles and for that I'm grateful. I had no idea that I could run that far and long. On Saturday I pushed my mind and body farther than I ever have. On Saturday evening to this very moment my hips and legs have never been this sore! Let me just say this... I hate running! If I never ran again I wouldn't miss it. And for some stupid reason I will continue to run and see if I can't push my body even farther.
Thanks Kam for being there at the Finish Line, it sure made for a great ending!

6 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Good for you! I am really proud of you. I know that that is NOT an easy task for sure! Now I just want to say that I can assure you that you will never be running with me in any kind of marathon! That is one thing that we will never share the likes of doing together.

Marianne said...

I am SO proud of you Brent!I think it is quite something to commit yourself to something you have never done, and something that hurts so much! You are an awesome man indeed!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Brent! This was a huge accomplishment. I love it when difficult goals are made and completed, it shows such strength of character which, of course, I already know you have. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see you running in next year's Marathon, not that I'm encouraging you to do that, because I secretly think those people are slightly INSANE, but still I wouldn't be surprised. Good Luck to you in all of your future goals as well, just keep "clicking" them off...one by one!

Stephanie said...

Brent, I know exactly how you feel! I hate running too! Yet I know I'll be out there doing more and more of it like a bad drug habit! My first half marathon I thought I was going to die! The most I had run up until then was 10 miles and let me tell you, the last 3 in the race seriously almost killed me! But then my next half marathon was awesome! I ran strong! I never walked, and I finished 17 min. faster than my first half. I felt like a million bucks! Keep after it! Maybe next year I'll come to St. George and run the Snow Canyon with you.

Way to go Brent! You're awesome!

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Way to go Brent. It feels so good one week later when the pain is gone and you can say you ran a 1/2 marathon. That is a huge accomplishment. I am sure I will see you at the marathon next year... cause if you ran a 1/2, why not run a full.

Holly said...

Woohoo Brent!! I was suppose to run a half marathon last month, but obviously didn't. Very long story that you don't wanna hear...trust me! Glad to see you guys are doing well:)