"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, October 2, 2011

35 Years RUNNING!

Another Marathon...Another SUCCESS!!!


My marathon started on Tuesday when I spent all day setting up the Convention Hall for the NordicTrack Health and Fitness EXPO/Packet-Pick Up.

Tuesday the booths were set up, banners hung, pick-up lines organized.

Wednesday 6500 packets stuffed and 7200 shirts sorted and organized...and I stopped sleeping.

Thursday over 70 vendors checked in and set up.


This is what the EXPO hall looked like on Wednesday...

This is what it looked liked when doors opened at 9:00 am on Friday Morning


It was packed until 9:30 Friday night.

This year we had some extra special guests attend.

The EXPO is the most stressful day of the marathon for me however it is also one of my favorite days. The craziness of it all is proof that all the hard work is paying off and the excitement of all the runners provides some sort of satisfaction...for lack of a better word.


After the crowds subsided, the vendors packed up and moved out...I managed to get in a quick shower just in time to meet up with our friends Ryan and Shannon Jones and Nick and Paige Marshall at Denny's for breakfast at 2:00 am before our 26.s mile drive to the start line.

The Start line IS MY FAVORITE PART of the Marathon. We arrive just as the first bus arrives and unloads. I get to stand and welcome each runner to the start line (hyped up on 5 hour energy) as they file off the buses and make their way to the huge bonfires, hot choc/coffee and accommodations we provide as they get ready for their race.



This year as I did "my job" of standing around, welcoming runners, visiting with staff and runners...I put Brent, Ryan, Shannon, Paige and Nick to WORK!...handing out mylar blankets and gloves to all the runners.


As the last bus arrived and minutes before the gun went off...the six of us loaded in the truck and headed to the finish line.


Every year attached to the marathon is a 2 mile walk..."The Mayor's Walk". 2000 people sign up to stroll the last two miles of the marathon course along side of Mayor Dan and cross the finish line before the wheelchair participants finish their race.

This year the entire family was able to walk the walk...except Gavin and Grant who chose to RUN the walk!



The first runner crossed at 2:24:44...the slowest 1st place finishing time in marathon history. It was a HOT day and really took a toll on the participants!



Over all the race itself went well...no stress, no problems, no shortages of supplies. Only a few major medical situations which after a phone call today I learned was nothing fatal and all are returning home for the hospital soon.


Last night I attended the Ten-Year Club banquet...which is always my least favorite part of the marathon...I'm exhausted, swollen, grumpy and I hate getting dressed up...trying to look cute just to eat and walk around, in HIGH heels no less, honoring runners with awards and prizes.

HOWEVER...it is at this event that MY BIGGEST BLESSING rolls in each year!

Team Brenchley once again finished the ST George Marathon and I ended my event with a kiss and a hug from two of my all-time favorite guys!


One more marathon down...364 days til another!

Thanks to my family...especially mom and dad...for ALL your support, love and HELP!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

5 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

Your strength and energy makes me swoon, woman! Each runner is SO LUCKY to have you head things up, kick butts behind the scenes and take names. You go, girl! SO glad it's over for your for a bit. You need a long and glorious break. :)

Saddie said...

Can I just say, WOW!!!

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Whew! I am so happy for you that it is over. I have heard really good things from all of my friends that ran this year. It seems like another HUGE success. Congratulations.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

It looks like another HUGE success!!! My goodness we even hear about the awesomeness and huge success of this marathon in Arizona. I always get so excited to say that my sister in law is Kami Ellsworth, it's one of those proud moments. One of these years after Blake's not playing football (in 2 or 3 years and if Conner doesn't play football) we will be coming up there to get to be apart of this excitement and fun!

Oh and the t-shirt that Brent is wearing that is the aqua/blue color in the picture with you and Gavin and Savanna is that the t-shirts this year? If so I LOVE THEM!!! Those might be my favorite t-shirts yet. Oh and I love the picture of you guys except it sure makes me miss you all!

We can hardly wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks. Were counting down!

Love and Miss You All!
JoLynn

Stephanie said...

My Friend is part of the 10 year club just loves the marathon. Keep up the great work. Are you guys coming up to the ASU vs. Utah game? If you are we should hook up. Steph and I will be going.

David