"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just because we didn't race doesn't mean we aren't IRONMEN!

Yesterday the City hosted it's 3rd and unfortunately final IRONMAN.
Once again I was over the finish line area...which is known to be the very best spot.
We have a great staff who covers the finish line area and supplies the athletes with catchers/assistance, water, their finisher medallions, shirts and hats. We escort them to medical if needed or onto the recovery area where they are fed well and completely taken care of.
I arrived at 1:00 to set up, unload boxes, pitch tents, instruct volunteers and get organized...and of course flex a few times...Ironmen do that ya know.
The first place man, "The Hoff" crossed the finish line around 4:00...almost an hour slower than the first place finisher last year. We heard nightmare stories of the start line, cold water, high winds and ocean sized waves. A few hundred athletes were pulled from the swim and many more from the bike due to a strong head wind. The weather conditions made for a difficult, strenuous race which took a toll on all the athletes...and us hard working finish line crew as well.
 Brent came as usual to support his wife and her super tough "job". I have always wondered why he loves to come to events and spend all day volunteering his time...
 ...my question was answered about an hour after he arrived.
Check out the tooshy on that one...and to think all these years I thought it was to be close to me!
But I too was impressed by that booty...if mine looked like that I would wear that outfit EVERYDAY!
After 11 brutal hours it was another successful event/"work" day. It was long and hot and we were tired and sore...be we pushed through like champions and came home feeling proud with a sense of accomplishment. 
We may not have raced but "WE ARE IRONMEN".
Or at least our old bodies feel like it today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, felt like an Ironman after maneuvering my way around town and taking an hour to make, what should have been a 15 minute trip, from Point A to Point B. It was frustrating and I was pretty ticked at this whole Ironman thing. But I'm glad it was a success and I guess that's the price we pay for living in beautiful, fun, popular St. George.

It looks like you had another day of "hard" work. What a great job you have!

Marianne said...

Looks like Brent was working real hard there! I know he is a compassionate guy but I hope he didn't strain himself!

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

What a crazy day. Those races are so inspiring. I can't even imagine setting a goal to participate in such a race.
Love the picture of Brent!!! That is so funny. He is probably so embarrassed that it is on the blog. Hahaha... I can hear him talking with excuses all around that photo.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Man I can see why Brent is so helpful! I'm pretty sure that Brent could get some help from our house. No seriously he helps because he loves you so much. I'm so glad that he loves you so much and is so good to you.

Can't wait to see you all!

Kaci said...

I just laughed my head off over Brent with his arm around that girl who I'm certain could have done just as well wearing board shirts and an extra large T shirt. Please!!! Butts are over rated anyway. The rack is where it's at.

PS I'm also impressed with your guns.