"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Runnin BIG SUR!

This last weekend I had an amazing opportunity to fly to Monterey CA to take part in the Big Sur Marathon.  
I know I have said it before but I really do have the BEST job ever!
Friday I boarded THIS plane and flew to LA, then boarded another plane that was very similar and flew into the Monterey airport.
I DO NOT recommend prop planes...they BITE!
 Saturday morning I met up with Chris, the operations Manager of Big Sur. She put me right to work. I was in the trenches...registering runners, running errands, picking up supplies and helping set up the finish line. 
The Big Sur Marathon is similar to St George in many ways. They too are a point to point race, they have a cap set on their marathon registration, the deal a lot with transportation issues and they are in their 28th year...so they are veterans.

 After a LONG day of work...Sunday morning I woke up early and headed to the race. Now I wish I could say I ran the marathon...from the pictures it looks like I did...they actually comped me into the race but I chose to run the 5K instead. Now I am sad I didn't run the 1/2 because the course is absolutely gorgeous and I would have loved to run longer and see more of it. How often do you get to run a race on a dirt path just inches from the ocean?


But I will take another race finished...even just a 5K. 

After my run I was able to help out a bit at the finish and visit with more staff and runners.
After the race and a HOT shower I toured the city on foot.
For those of you who don't know...I LOVE cemetery's. I think they are beautiful and I love the peaceful feeling they bring. I use to travel often for work and I would always try to visit a cemetery in each city I visited. I was lucky enough to be in walking distance of this one.
Also just blocks away from my hotel was the ocean and Fisherman's Warf.  
I miss the beach...I miss the sand between my toes. Although it was too cold to fully enjoy the beach I was able to walk the pier, bury my feet in the sand and listen to the waves crash. It was a perfect day.
It was interesting to me to see another race in the works, to watch others perform the same duties in different ways. However I walked away proud to be a part of the St George Marathon. I was proud of our organization, our volunteers, our scenic course and most of all the recovery area we offer to our participants.  I honestly and humbly can say that we really know what we are doing and we really provide a positive experience for our athletes.
I also walked away with a deeper appreciation for my wonderful husband and our 2 sweet kiddos. It was SO hard for me to be away from them for four whole days. I think I have taken advantage of the fact I see them everyday, that I get to hug them and feel love for and from them. My heart was emptier. 
It was a great trip but coming home to my favorite three was the best thing I have done in a LONG time.

4 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Well it sounds like it was a great little get away. You were able to see how another marathon is worked, you also got to enjoy the beach and another cemetery, and the best part of all-you got to come home to the ones you love the most! What a perfect trip!

Saddie said...

I like cemeteries for all the interesting names - they're much better for perusing baby names than a book or the internet. Unfortunately, as children, my littlest brother would always sick up when we drove by one - weird and gross and a little disturbing.

It sounds like a fun trip. My little Hazel girl and Rowy baby have yet to experience the ocean. We need to remedy that - I mean REALLY!

Saddie said...

I like cemeteries for all the interesting names - they're much better for perusing baby names than a book or the internet. Unfortunately, as children, my littlest brother would always sick up when we drove by one - weird and gross and a little disturbing.

It sounds like a fun trip. My little Hazel girl and Rowy baby have yet to experience the ocean. We need to remedy that - I mean REALLY!

Anonymous said...

Ive always loved the Monterry/Carmel area...it's so beautiful there. What a fun place to "have" to go for a work weekend.

I love cemeteries too. We always had our family reunions at the family cemetery when I was growing up so I have wonderful memories of being there and, of course, was never afraid or uncomfortable. I think there is always a sweet feeling as I walk around and look at the names on the headstones and think about the people who are buried there.

I'm glad you had a good trip but, as always, I happy you are back home safe and sound.