This weekend was the Annual Ironman St George (this year it was The HALF IRONMAN CHAMPIONSHIPS) and once again I was there...working!
However this year I was given a new assignment...Co-Captain over T-2 (transition from bike to run). My Co-Captain was Dawn...who could ask for anything more?
This year our "new" area was MUCH more involved than the finish line has been in the past. We started our weekend with working ALL day Friday helping athletes check gear bags. At least we had beautiful trees to keep us shaded in the 99 degree weather!
Then after being there for 12 hours straight...we went home, got a few hours sleep and we back at 4:00-6:00 am for bus loading! This time Bri joined us and Brent came along to help as well.
I LOVE how supportive he always is! He is my BEST volunteer (and my cutest!).
The four of us went for a quick breakfast at Black Bear, of course, went home to change and we were right back at it by 8:00 am.
The race began at 7:00 and athletes finished their 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and joined us to get ready for their 13.1 mile run. We saw a few friends during or busy work day.
Aaron was part of a relay team and ran the 13.1 in less that 1:15. He is really AMAZING!
We also met up with Todd (Brent's boss and our friend)..
He looked good and felt good...and was thrilled with his time.
Other athletes were a little more competitive than others...one lady we "started" to help...decided to pee right where we were standing...so I decided she could dress herself and but her own urinated clothes in her bag...and I just walked away! (then came back for a quick photo)
This is us still looking happy...
BEFORE we had to check out each of these bikes to tired, grumpy, RUDE athletes in the 100 degree weather after working for 24 hours in 2 days!
AND this is what your feet look like from standing on them the whole time...wearing flip flops.
I might as well have completed the 70.3 myself...I sure feel like I did!
So today is a day of REST (just like the scriptures tell us)... thanks to my wonderful 13 year old who swept, shook rugs, vacuumed and wiped down the kitchen while I worked. His reply to my thankful hug was "I just wanted to help you feel happy". Little does he know he makes me feel happy EVERYDAY!!
So today is a day of REST (just like the scriptures tell us)... thanks to my wonderful 13 year old who swept, shook rugs, vacuumed and wiped down the kitchen while I worked. His reply to my thankful hug was "I just wanted to help you feel happy". Little does he know he makes me feel happy EVERYDAY!!
Congrats to all our friends who are now HALF IRONMEN!!










4 comments:
Good for Gavin, first of all! What a great guy! You tell him I said so!
You will be blessed for helping those poor tired runners as tired and cranky as they were...but the peeing lady...um, NO! Just no! I don't blame you for walking away.
Stupid me... I had t go out to a house at Coral Canyon at 11:30 on Saturday. Um yeah, that didn't happen. What an amazing race the ironman is. Why would anyone do that on purpose? You look cute as always. And how nice to come home to a clean house. Glad you're finished
I sure love your kiddos! You and Brent are fantastic parents. I'm so proud of Gavin for helping you to be extra happy when you came home to a nice tidy home after working such long hard hours.
It looks like the Ironman was a great success. However, I have to agree with Kaci-why on earth would anyone want to do this?
Can't wait to see you guys, in just a few weeks!
I always think that I would like to volunteer at the Ironman race, but after reading your post I am glad we were sitting at lacrosse games in Las Vegas all day. Glad you survived the weekend. Tell Gavin he should teach my kids how to make a mom happy! I could use a kid like him.
Post a Comment