Once we are at the office the kids quietly entertain themselves for an hour and a half playing nicely together or coloring beautiful well drawn pictures of flowers and soft animals...until I take them to school at 8:45. Loving goodbyes are shared from smiling clean faces...blown kisses and I Love You hand signals from Gavin...is how we start our day.
Well.....sometimes...
This doesn't always happen exactly like I have planned. Most mornings (complete dramatization) my alarm goes off and I snooze at least three times...roll my sorry big tired behind outta bed at 6:15...quickly get myself half way ready for the day in wrinkled jeans and a snug t-shirt (so I don't have to iron it)...hair pulled back in a pony...then scream from the opposite side of the house that "it is time to get up". "Pick out your clothes, put them on and meet me in the kitchen in ten for cold cereal and if you are lucky an uncooked poptart…NO I DO NOT have time to toast it."
I clean up the breakfast mess 5 minutes later...done or not...throw it in the sink...and we are out the door by 7:10.
We arrive at the office where I try to work while the kids run up and down the halls screaming, throwing tennis balls at each other, racing on roller chairs by pushing off of my newly painted walls with dirty shoes and hands and finding multiple reasons to cry and tattle on one another. I am often heard shrieking down the hall..."Hey…you two keep it down people are trying to work around here"...which always makes the tears fall at a much heavier rate and the LOUD sobbing begin…not to mention the name calling and the dramatic pouting in the corner…which I irritably ignore.
At 8:45 we leave my office in a rush with threats and vulgarity spewing from my mouth...as I speed down the roads in and out of traffic to make it to school on time. The kids are thrown from the car with tear stained cheeks and hurried goodbyes in my most forced, forgiving, kind voice that I can muster up...and yet there Gavin stands with a smile on his face blowing me multiple kisses and making I Love You signs with his hands.


No matter how fantastic or awful I am as a mom in the morning Gavin always manages to start my day with this same routine. I can honestly say it is my favorite part of the day.
I love him more each morning and my heart is full of love all day until I see him again. I will always be thankful for his sweetness and affection for me as his mom…even though most of the time I struggle in that department.

7 comments:
You're right, Gavin is just so sweet, very affectionate and loving. You're a lucky mom!! Keep on dreaming...one day you will achieve that "perfect morning"...but until then, remember President Hinckley and "just do the best you can" and don't be too hard on yourself, you're doing a great job!!!
Kids like Gavin and Savannah just dont happen! They are great kids and you deserve more credit than you think. And take it from me we all have those days. At least you stop at the school...I would slow down so they could jump out! And who toasts pop tarts? Raw foods are always healthier? Seriously once I had to leave a message at school to the boys telling them their mom loved them because I didn't want them to have a whole day at school thinking I was mad.(Gosh here I was trying to cheer you up and I feel like heck)Thankfully kids are so darn loving and forgiving. And yours are super blessed to have you as a mom. Karen~
Oh Kami how I sympathize with your hetic mornings of trying to get to work and them to school on time. At least 2 if not 3 days a week when I'm working my days and your days sound much the same! I can't begin to tell you how many times I've left Brilynn behind looking at herself in the mirror as she cries big crocodile tears. Not to mention the time I couldn't find my right shoes and I had a little temper tantrum myself and threw a shoe a little to hard and it hit the wall. Oh course, the kids all thought I was throwing the shoe at them. Yeah, we've had our share of bad days, to say the least. But when it's all said and done kids love us always, no matter what! Your Gavin is one of the sweetest kids I know and trust me it didn't happen on accident! You are an incredible Mom doing an incredible job!
Love ya, JoLynn
My mornings are the same and I honestly think that in the next morning I am not going to do it, but then I get up and start it all over again. I have to say that Gavin has a special place in my heart. He truley is a soft hearted kid and a genuine kid. He really and truly means what he says and means it. He is the lovingest kid and I love him very much! Keep up the great work.
Cute new background...I love it!!
It's always comforting to know that we are all living very similar lives just in different homes. I don't have a full time job outside of the home and my mornings are just about as crazy! My appreciation for my own mother has grown tremendously since becoming a mother myself. Keep up the good work and continue appreciating the little tender mercies of motherhood that sometimes come in blown kisses and love signs!
I know we've talked about our two sons before. they are similar in many ways! My son does the same thing every day. He says "I love you" ten times before he gets out of the car, kisses me twice, and then he stands and watches me drive off "just because I love you Mom!" We are lucky Moms indeed!
And you know what? We do what we have to do. No one's life is ideal in spite of what we think we see. I used to leave Sarah and Brittany at their sitter's while I was teaching school and nine days out of ten I was crying and so was Britt! She had to make it worse by standing on the back of the sitter's couch and pressing her face up against the window with her little tears streaming! Oh! The guilt!
Post a Comment