A little over four weeks ago I was called into Kent's office. He explained that they were going to put on a Roadshow with this mutual group and he asked if I would be willing to "HELP" with it. Now I must admit that I have been known to be a little sheepish when it comes to special needs kids...this is nothing that I am proud of...it is one of my biggest faults. Hesitantly I said yes to his request...how bad could choreographing one dance really be??
Later that week I showed up at mutual to get a feel for what it was all about...this is where I was introduced as the "Roadshow Director". Yep that's right...write the script, assign the parts, make the costumes, find the music, coordinate all the dances...all the while keeping in mind that most of these participants are limited in mobility, speech, hearing, sight and many other "Special Needs". I was OVERWHELMED to say the least. Then Kiarah showed up...my co-director and a tiny bit of pressure was lifted...TINY!!
For the past four weeks my mind has been focused on only one thing...ROADSHOW!!! I have zits the size of Texas, my migraines are in full force, my family completely neglected...but after last night...I KNOW...that was exactly what I should have been doing.


These individuals are amazing! They are talented, they are more than able and they are such a joy to be around. The spirit that all of them carry with them is directly from our Heavenly Father and he is closer to them then I have ever felt. They are truly SPECIAL sons and daughters of God and my life has been forever blessed having spent four short weeks with each of them.


10 comments:
It was a GREAT night Kam, I'm so glad I got to be there. I love your pictures, the props and costumes all looked so cute BUT the kids were really amazing! I just cried and cried as I watched them sing, "In This Very Room". There are a few things in life that you just never forget, weddings, births, graduations, big things like that...and there are small things too, this night is one of those that I will never forget. Thanks for all you did to make this night possible for the kids and for all of us who came to watch.
Kami, how wonderful that you had the opportunity to work with these kids. I looks like it was a great show. I wish I could have seen it! I was telling your Mom on her blog that we had a Primary Pres. who taught the children in our ward how truly special it was to be in the presence of a little girl in our ward who was severely handicapped. She explained that Ainsley was innocent, pure, and not accountable for any sin, therefore she was eligible for the Celestial Kingdom already. The children treated her so kindly and I never looked at her the same way after that! What an unforgettable experience for you to have.
Good job you! It looks like it was a total success! I love all of the costumes. Everyone looked like they enjoyed themselves. Its always nice when these events are over. Looking back, they're always much more enjoyable than when you are smack dab in the middle of 'em.
Oh Kami that is so awesome! What a wonderful opportunity, experience, and blessing. My heart totally goes out to you on how very busy I'm sure you have been! That was NO SMALL TASK!!! I would have loved to have been there and helped with it or at least got to have seen it.
When I was pregnant with Blake they thought that he was a down syndrome baby. After much testing they told us that we had a 1/50 chance that he would be a downs baby. My heart broke. I've only cried like that one other time in my life. At that same time that all of that was going on our sweet inspired bishop just happended to call us in to his office just to see how Brian and I were doing. When we told him of what was going on he cried with us as well and then he talked to us and explained what choice spirits these children are and what choice parents they have. He explained that if indeed our baby was a downs baby that before we came to this earth we were aware of what we'd be taking on and that we had agreed to it. He also explained that these little spirits were not accountable for anything and that they were sweet innocent children with a ticket to the celestial kingdom. He then gave me a beautiful blessing. After that we had complete and total piece. For the first time I realized that all would be o.k. even if our baby was a downs baby.
Since that experience I have always had a special understanding towards these special spirits. They truly are amazing spirits.
I'm glad that it all went so well! I just wish I could have been there with you!
Thanks for sharing such a sweet post!
Love Ya,
JoLynn
Kami.. wow it looks like you did an amazing job. I love the pictures. It looks like all the zits were worth it. I worked with the special olympics when we lived in Oklahoma and it is something that drove me nuts but it still sits in my mind as a wonderful experience. Kent knew what he was doing when he asked you to "HELP".
Love ya.....
WOW! I can hardly fathom the amount of energy mentally, physically, spiritually - you name it - you exerted on this roadshow. AMAZING! I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience the blessings that come from interacting with such wonderful people! I'm sure their lives were blessed because of you. Good work!
Kami-
You are incredible! Looks like you had a great night! I am amazed!
Road Shows are NEVER easy to pull off! That you were in charge of all those elements and had a special needs cast, boy, you're bucking for sainthood! Congratulations on a terrific job. The rewards make it all worthwhile.
I think that had to be Macy or Maddi Sonju as Snow White. How cute. What a fun thing to do.
That looks so wonderful, love the new family pic as well. Too bad you weren't coming out this weekend, it would be great for Jaydon to meet you and see his uncle, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities. Glad to see all is well, enjoy your weekend.
Post a Comment