"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, April 16, 2009

My JOB as a Mother!

I always know when I am in for a rough day when I find myself yelling and talking to myself in the shower...I play out different situations in my head and act them out how I think they should go or should have gone! I discuss with myself things I wish I would have said or things I will say if ever given the opportunity.I get really worked up and sometimes quite angry...these feelings stay with me throughout the day unfortunately. I do this when I am stressed, worried, when I have a lot on my mind, when I have maxed out my mid-week brain capacity or when I am lacking sleep. Today was one of those days.
To begin let me ask a simple question??...

Does anyone else EAT, DRINK, SLEEP and BREATHE the Nintendo DS??

Well my kids do so this means I DO TOO. Being the nice mom that I am I took them game shopping yesterday and spent a butt load of money on games for my well behaved, kind, loving children. I have not seen them or heard from them since. I asked them four times to get in the shower last night, five times to come in to read and pray, two times to get into bed, three times to get dressed this morning, three times to come have their hair done, four times to eat breakfast and EIGHT times for Gavin to get his backpack...which he "could not find ANYWHERE" and I walked directly into his room and found it lying on the floor in plain sight next to his bed.

So needless to say I had HAD IT by the time school came. As we walked out the door I sternly stated... "DS RESTRICTION UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"!
Oh the tears came a floodin!!!
I then began to explain why this restriction was coming about...in the most calm yet firm voice I could and in reply I got...

"Isn't it your job as our mom to take care of us and love us...NOT to mistreat us and yell at us"?

I love Gavin, the way his mind works...but sometimes he ventures into unsafe terrain and one day will not come out alive...today was NOT that day. Lucky for him we pulled into the school parking lot and he quickly jumped out of the car, blowing as many kisses as he could while running as fast as his size 6's would let him.

I believe it is MY JOB as a mother to love them enough to NOT allow them to be lazy, un-responsive and just plain BORING!! Get out, ride a bike, dig in the dirt, read a book...do something beside exercise your thumbs! Am I wrong?? And by all means...LISTEN to your MOM!!!

7 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

NO you are absolutely right!!! Kids need to do more than sit around all day and play DS,PSP, X-Box, Play Station, WII, etc. Conner enjoys playing his PSP and Brilynn loves playing her DS but those two don't play it in excess for the most part. Blake on the other hand, he loves playing that X-Box. We have just had to put some time restrictions on it. Fortunately, he's busy enough with school, Y.M., and basketball that is't not completely like pulling teeth. When we have the most trouble with him is in the evenings. He'd stay up all night playing it if we allowed it.

The thing that I think has helped the most is that when Blake started to school we banned all electronics before school including the t.v. I think this has saved our lives, especially mine. Personally, I think we wouldn't be good mom's at all if we just let them sit around all the time and be lazy and play those darn things all the time.

They will love and appreciate us someday when they are hard working responsible adults! Hang in there and stick to your guns!

Take Care,
JoLynn

McArthurs said...

Your a great mom Kami and someday when they have their own kids they will know.... until then we will have to continue yelling at our kids and be told what awful parents we are. Good luck!!! We need to do lunch soon... Love ya...

Stephanie said...

Amen to that sister!

Marianne said...

Ha! You are fabulous! I myself imposed a Wii restriction before lunch for our spring break this week. At first Richard didn't know what to do, the next day he got his chores done, then he, Rachel and Michael actually got out BOARD GAMES!!! By yesterday they were playing board games in the afternoon instead of getting out the Wii... Woo Hoo! Moms take charge!

The fly-fisherman said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I had this very experience this morning. I finally yelled at Garrett that Nintendo DS was one of Satan's tools that is keeping him from developing his talents. And that I was limiting playing time to one hour on the weekends. He cried as well. I have had it. My boys wake up with them in their hands, play them until they get out of the car at school, have them back in their hands as soon as the car door opens when I pick them up, and play them until I am absolutely screaming at them to put them down to pick up a fork and eat their dinner!!! I think theirs are going to get lost until summer ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't relate. I had perfect little girls! It was when they got older that things fell apart. Just wait!!

JoJo and Ralph said...

If I could curl up into a ball... I would curl up into a ball in the corner and rock back and forth at the nerve my kids have. We NEVER would have talked to our mom the way my kids talk to me or she would have knocked us OUT. We don't have DS' but we have other crap that if I hadn't spent gobs of money on... I would throw them out of my speeding car. I can totally relate. AND... I JUST LOVE SPRING BREAK WITHOUT TRIPS TO DAD'S HOUSE. Where the HELL is he? And when do I get a break?