"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, October 4, 2009

T.G.I.O.

AMEN!!!


I came home to a wonderfully unexpected and much APPRECIATED..."Heart Attack"

Thank you Mom, Dad, Gavin and Savanna




The madness really started Monday but got underway on Friday at the NordicTrack Health and Fitness EXPO where over 15,000 people attended, runners picked up their packets and runner shirts, ate pasta, listened to speakers and spent thousands of dollars on running apparel and other fun marathon treats.
This year was the first year I coordinated the EXPO on top of everything else. Other than running out of shirts...AGAIN, posters, safety pins and freebies...it was quite a success!


This year I decided to take Brent with me to the Starting Line. I think that this was my very FAVORITE part of this year. We headed up about 3:00 am...He and I had been awake for close to 24 hours at that point so we grabbed a 5 hour energy to drink on the drive up. By the time we reached the start it had taken effect...on me at least. I met the first bus full of runners with cheers, jumping and loud expressions of "WELCOME TO THE ST GEORGE MARATHON START LINE"...some of them however weren't ready for my enthusiasm at such an early hour.

There we caught up with Kori and a few of her friends. I saw some friends from the past and even made a few friends.
Brent and I were able to go up in the scissor lift high above the crowds that reach for miles, above the 50 bonfires that are raging...warming the runners, above the 49 state flags and 13 country flags that were all represented and watch and feel the excitement and spirit of the race.


After helping the wheelchair and hand crank participants get ready to start, Brent and I headed down the course to the finish line before the runners took off!

This year the BEST part of the event was getting to see Kori cross the finish line. It was so much fun and such an honor to share this event with her. She has been training so hard and has such dedication. I truly admire her. Not only for what she accomplished yesterday but for who she is, the wonderful sister she is and for the friend I have in her! I am so proud of her. GREAT RACE KORI...GOOD JOB YOU!!!


After the race there is always the DREADED Banquet. I HATE this banquet. It is for all the 10+ year runners and sponsors. After working for 4 days straight, being awake for close to 40 hours and having been on my feet for all of those hours...I am forced to attend a dinner...which I don't get to eat. I get dressed up...looking haggard, dirty, swollen and exhausted, I wear high heels and I walk and distribute prizes and ten-year club awards to all 880 people who attend...for 2 hours without stopping.

The ONLY benefit of being at the banquet is that I get to take my annual Team Brenchley photo...which really makes the entire year of blood, sweat and tears all worth it...even though the picture ALWAYS calls out LOUDLY...no-sleep and death warmed over!



Well its OVER...at least for today. YEP I will start from scratch TOMORROW!
Congrats to the 5720 runners who ran and accomplished their goal...making the 33rd St George Marathon the LARGEST in its history!

8 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

YAY!!! So glad it was another HUGE success! One of these years when the economy turns around and we get to go back to our old life (that will happen again someday won't it?) I am going to come to St. George and help you with the marathon and be there to cheer on all those runners and see there faces when they come across that finish line. Man what a huge sense of accomplishment to know that they DID IT!

I was so glad to see Kori do it and she had an awesome time too! WAY TO GO KORI!!! I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing all about my friends race too. (Did you guys talk to her by any chance?) All of this because of all YOUR HARD WORK AND SWEAT! GOOD FOR YOU!

Get some rest! You need it and deserve it!

Love You Guys,
JoLynn

P.S. How many shirts were you short? How did that part all work out?

Marianne said...

Job well done Kami! Are you still numb or are you feeling it? Bless your heart, you do such a good job! Whew! Do you get a little break now?

Someday you and Brittany need to sit down and talk. She is very much into event planning and PR now. It is her new love!

Take good care of yourself and get some sleep! We love you!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Kam!! Once again, I'm so proud to be your mom!! It was another fabulous event for the City of St. George! Everything seemed to go perfectly, without a hitch, flawless. Even the weather cooperated beautifully this year. I think Marathon Weekend in St. George is the very best weekend of the entire year. So much enthusiasm and excitement. Thanks for all you do to make this wonderful event happen. I know it's not easy but you make it look like it is.

Anonymous said...

I really feel out ot touch. For about 4 weeks now I have been without the internet. We switched from Dish to Direct TV and ever since I haven't been able to get the internet.Somehow hooking back up to everything something happened and I lost it. Internet that is. We were not able to hook back up to the virus protector and we think a virus got in somehow. We are trying to find a day we can sit for six hours and clear the virus out. Whatever, I am out in never-never land. I got on Gena's computer this evening and checked some of the blogs. I found yours extremely interesting. And I want to let Kami know she must have done a wonderful job with the Marathon. I am proud of you Kami. Brent hit yhe Jackpot when he met you.
Love Grandma Helen Love you to Brent.

The fly-fisherman said...

A shout out to the RACE DIRECTOR for an absolutely fabulous race. From runner's stand point (at least one who got a shirt) it could not have been better! It was VERY well organized and things went so smoothly from our points of view. GOOD JOB YOU!!! You put on a mean race.

Justin and Julie said...

Great Job! Glad you made it thru! Hope to see you again for lunch now that it is over.

Stephanie said...

Way to go Kami! Someday I hope to run in it. I can't imagine the feeling you must get to finish a marathon. It's probably much like the feeling you get when you have finished putting one on!! ;) Looks exhausting!!! Good job!

The Florist said...

Seriously? Wow. That's all I can think to say, just Wow! It like you delivered 15,000 children...I mean runners. Some day I'll be a finisher! You rock!