"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving is over...I can't even believe that we are in the Christmas season already.


But before I jump in with two feet into the Christmas lights, holiday traditions, presents and sugar cookies allow me to recap our Thanksgiving weekend.


This year...as usual (but hopefully not always) the kiddos went to SLC so Brent and I were once again able to go to Arizona to celebrate with our family there.


We arrived late Wednesday night after one long day of work, one 6 hour car ride, one avoided car accident and LOTS of holiday traffic.


Thursday morning Brent and I went for a PRE-High-Calorie meal run and a quick trip to visit Dick and Sherri. Dick was hard at work in his kitchen making homemade rolls, pies, turkey and Kami Treats (which are the best butter, choc chip cookies with rice crispies and coconut). I swear I just LOVE that man!!!


That after noon we got ready for Dinner...and by ready I mean we all showered and put on our sweats/Pj's and slippers.


I promise, I had every intention of looking half way cute this holiday. I brought several darling outfits to wear, many shoes to choose from and matching accessories. Well I wore NONE of them. I never got out of my comfy clothes the entire weekend...and I was NOT the only one.




In the kitchen the meal preparing began...Potato's boiling, turkeys roasting...


...pictures were being snapped...crotch shots were being taken (notice the placement of the hands)
After many attempts to help...Blake and I resorted to just relaxing and watching football.
Just Aunt and Nephew being good friends and talking "Girl Talk".




Dinner was FABULOUS!!!


We were sad not to have the Mortensen's with us this year.

After dessert we all crashed at about 9:00...hoping to get a few hours of sleep before our midnight rush to Wal-Mart for Black Friday.




We were so happy to get most of the deals we were looking for and even a few we weren't...



Brent was able to score this coveted scanner/printer which he proudly held above his head while doing a little jig and literally getting applauds from near by shoppers.


He then put it back on the shelf and it was immediately snatched up by a man standing close who had been so disappointed he wasn't fast enough to get his own. We made his day!!


After Wal-Mart we had more success at Best-Buy and attempted Kohl's however once we learned the line was 2 hours long we stashed our deals and came back later.




Then we went home, slept for a couple more hours woke up the kids, picked up Zale (Blake's darling new "girl"-friend) and went out again. This time to Chandler Mall.


Everyone was more awake, in better moods and happier to be shopping...


Well everyone but Brian...This is his "Before and After" shot or better yet his "Reality verses sister-in-law forcing him to smile" shot.

After shopping the girls and Dick went to see Breaking Dawn. This has become a "JoLynn and Kami" tradition. Each Thanksgiving for the past 4 years we have gone to see the newest Twilight movie. It is something I look forward to each year.




That night we all rested, ate left overs and played loud, foul mouthed, fight provoking games until bedtime.


Yesterday was a much needed lazy day. we all started off with a little exercise and then got cleaned up...back in our jammies and watched football all day.


Last night after more "fun" games we went to visit Zale at work...the near by ice cream shop...where they serve "Thrifty's Ice Cream".


Chocolate Malted Crunch baby! Oh the memories!!!




This morning Brent and I drove home. It is always so sad to leave and we plan our next trip the whole way.



But I must say I sure missed my sweet kiddies who were waiting for us with loving open arms.



We sure have so much to be THANKFUL for!!

5 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I'm always SO SAD when you guys go home! I wake up and your car is gone, Blake's room is vacant, and my heart is empty. It's always so fun to have you here with us. We enjoy all the trash talking and heart to heart talks. Not to mention all the eating and shopping too! I hope to make a trip to St. George one of these days in the next year! I also hope that next year we can get Gav and Sav here too!
Thanks for coming. Thanks for being such a dear sweet friend and sister in law and thanks for putting up with me and my grouchiness and my sometimes naughty kiddos!

Love You All!
JoLynn

Anonymous said...

Another fun Ellsworth Thanksgiving. I'm happy you all had a great time and got some good Black Friday deals. The food looks fabulous as I'm sure it was. You guys have it made with Dick being such a wonderful cook! I'm also glad you made it home safe. Love You!

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

You are insane!!! I valiantly stayed home and steered completely clear of all stores all day on Friday. :) You are a brave girl. Did you take pepper spray along with you to your black Friday madness?

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

P.s. I am jealous of your comfy attire. Something like that seems so logical, and yet it completely eluded my tiny brain. :~P

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Sounds like a fun weekend... well all except the shopping part. I am afraid I would have looked like reality Brian. I am so NOT a lover of shopping, and then to throw the crowds of people in with it... I think I would rather have both of my eyes clawed from my skull.
Glad you had a good time and that you made it home safe.