Yesterday Brent and I slept in until 7:30 and the kids until 8, we got up and I made homemade waffles with peanut butter for breakfast. We tidied up the house and put away laundry. The kids got dressed up in their shin guards and cleats and played soccer in the front yard and then went for a walk around the block to get some exercise. Then we all got ready for the day and went bowling. A fun idea right???...this was a struggle for Gavin having gotten used to getting ALL strikes on the Wii and getting ONLY gutter balls in real life (which was absolutely breaking my heart...I couldn't even watch)...he suffered through with hidden tears and controlled his anger for the most part and ended up having a good time the second game. We headed home, had a snack and then loaded up the truck and went over to Papa's and Nana's for a BBQ and the football game with the cousins.
Now you would think that this was a fun day wouldn't you?? But instead, our little naked 7 year old sat in the tub late last night and cried her eyes out...sobbing..."This was the worst day of my life...I didn't enjoy any of it"..."I didn't like bowling...it was NO fun and I had the hiccups all day"..."I didn't have fun at the BBQ and I didn't eat anything good"..."I didn't have fun playing with BOYS and I miss all my friends from our old house"..."and I am not having fun NOW in the TUB"!!!
So I knelt down next to the tub and listened to her cry and complain while I washed her back and feet. Trying to remain calm and to have patience...which is hard for me since these tears of hers flow on a regular basis and for NO reason at all these days...I said in the sweetest voice I could muster up "Ok Baby-girl...I will NEVER make you go bowling again, I will NEVER make you play with your boy cousins again and we will NEVER eat another BBQ again! I am so sorry that Mama forced you to do all those nasty things today...will you please forgive me?" She took a deep breath and said..."YES I will...but I actually did like bowling except I would like to use the bumpers next time...and I did have fun playing with the cousins but I would like to play with my girlfriends tomorrow after school...and I did like eating the BBQ but I think I will have chicken next time"..."I think I am just tired and I don't feel very good".
We got her out of the tub, into her jammies and she cozied up next to Dad on the couch.

Spoiled??? Perhaps!! But...
Problem - solved...without frustration and no yelling was involved = success!!!
I don't like Mondays either...Mondays are NO fun!!!

9 comments:
The picture tells the story...she just needed a little attention and she GOT IT!! Brent can work miracles with her! Notice the smile on her face...good job Dad.
That is Brent, a sucker for the girls, always was and always will be. How cute is he lookin. Sounds like a fun day for you all.
By the way I issued a challenge for whoever is up for it on my blog. Tell me what you think.
What a good mother you are Kami! You handled that just right! Oh, and I bowl better or the Wii too!
Man oh man, we have sure had our share of those little moments at our house and I gotta say, I'm going to follow your sweet example again next time, and not loose my patience. You are such a good Mom and it looks like Brent is a pretty good Dad too.
Oh and just for the record I have many a days that I could act just like she did. And as for the bowling man, I've gotten pretty mad and thrown some good fits myself, just ask Brent:)
We sure love you guys!
JoLynn
I guess that is why I have all boys...I dont know that I would be as patient as you. All my poor boys get is, "If your not bleeding then I dont want to hear it"! I have to share this funny story about Brent's Mom Susan...we were at the swap meet in CA and Matthew was acting up. Susan gave him a little spank and was holding onto his arm. Two ladies saw this happen and one said to the other one something about abuse. Well, Susan heard her say that and she said back to them, "Abuse, ha! If you think this is abuse, you havent seen anything yet!" Every time I think about this story I crack up because it was so Susan to not let those ladies get away with talkin crap about her mothering! She was an awesome Mom!
Mundays are so hard for me too. I wish I could tell Savanna I am sorry I have all of these stinky boys and not enough girl cousins for her to play with. However, boys are so much easier! Everyday is a "Munday" for Gracie, but my boys rarely have 'em.
Loved the story Kame. And thanks a million for the picture It made my day. "That's my Brent" Savanna you can cry on my shoulder anytime. But you won't need my shoulder, you have your Dad's (man I love that word. "Dad")
Love Grandma E.
I think you were just writing about all three of my daughters! Especially Anna! I will have to use your tactic next time. Brilliant!
Adam loved your comment, by the way. He is pretty cute and ever since he wore out all his salvation army clothes, he does dress pretty cute! :)
And I too loved meeting your Mom. I've heard about you and your great family from the day Adam and I met. You guys are a big part of their lives.
Look forward to actually meeting you someday.
Post a Comment