"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy BIG Birthday BIG Jim


On October 17, 1943 a little baby boy was born to Lester and Mildred Little. I am sure as they looked at him with complete adoration and unconditional love they had NO idea that this little boy would turn into the BEST DAD ever and one of MY greatest heros.

I don't think Dad had ever anticipated having three baby girls and living his life in a home full of female emotions, female hormones and female melt-downs but all the while he hung in there...wiping tears, trash talking ex-boyfriends, teaching his daughters to play EVERY sport possible, going to ballet recitals, thinking up creative ways to ask boys to school dances, spending all his money on prom dresses, hair-do's, fingernails, cleats, uniforms, clothes and OF COURSE new shoes... and the list goes on and on.

I remember...after I had been kicked out of yet ANOTHER basketball game for throwing the ball at the ref (and yes IT WAS a BAD call) mom sitting shaking her head in complete embarrassment and disgust...and Dad standing clapping and chanting along with the rest of the crowd "Go Ms. T, Go Ms. T" (yes Ms. Technical was what they called me…foul that is!). I get my extreme competitiveness from him.
One of my most precious memories with Dad was when he and I drove to Provo a few years ago to ONCE AGAIN appear in court in our never ending custody battle for Gav and Sav...I cried the whole way up...I was a nervous wreck...Dad just drove with one hand on the wheel and one hand on my shoulder...he didn't say much except every once in a while he would interject some dirty, nasty...yet true statement about the Ex that would make me laugh and less tense....that is just DAD. He hasn't always had much to say but when he does it is something worth listening to!

My dad is STRONG, sensitive, hilarious, hard working and dedicated to our family. He was a great provider, gave us all we needed and tried always to give us what we wanted. He was kind and caring. But most of all he is just the BEST dad ever! Us Little Women are blessed DAILY to have him in our lives...to learn from...to pattern our lives after...and to watch sports with :)

I love you Dad...thanks for being our Dad, Papa, coach, friend and example!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so that was really teary....but true!! He is a great guy, isn't he!! You girls are truly blessed to have a dad like him!

val said...

he is such a great guy. i have fond memories of your family and he's a big part of that. there really is no nicer man. hope he had a happy day.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Oh Kami, that was one of the sweetest tributes I have ever read. I don't even know your Dad all that well but I feel like I know him really well because of you, Brent, and Nancy and all that I hear about him. I figured out why you love and adore my Grandpa so much, it is because the way you described your Dad is about the same way I'd describe my Grandpa.
What wonderful sweet men!
JoLynn

Gena said...

There's nothing in the world like a girl's Daddy. They're the best. And I bet he feels a little bit the same way about all the females in his life.

Papa Dick said...

Loved your tribute to a great dad. One of the first things that I noticed when getting to meet all of you was the love and respect you have for your parents. They are cool and have mine and Sherries respect. He deserves many more happy days.

Marianne said...

Kami, next time you see your Dad give him a big hug for me! I love to hear about him and it was so nice to meet him! It makes me miss my Dad something awful to hear about all of your nice times with your own. Hug and kiss him every chance you get!!

Julianne said...

I was laughing at the basketball story! Sounds a lot like my Dad! He would be the only one cheering every time I fouled. When I would foul out or get a technical he would stand up and cheer even louder! My coach finally asked me to please tell my Dad that fouling out and getting technicals are bad things. I wish you lived here- you could come to basketball nights with me- I think it would be fun to be on your team!