On Saturday October 4th I was able to be a part of my first St. George Marathon. I had a front row seat to this awesome event that my dear wife is in charge of. I had no idea how big of an event this really was...

The event for me really started on Friday. I met over at the Dixie Center on Friday morning and worked the prize table until about 4:30. It was then that I realized that this marathon was a big deal. The people kept coming through the doors and seemed to never stop! It was fun to be able to work with the girls from Cross Creek. Cross Creek is a school in the area for girls who are troubled. They help Kam at a lot of her events and do a good job from what I can tell. It was good to be able to get to know a few of them and talk about the future that lies ahead of them. Best of luck to them all! Perhaps the best part of Friday was watching Kam do her thing. She was a million places at once and never stopped going. She even managed to stop by and see me quite a bit to make sure I was doing OK. A special thanks to Jim and Nance for getting us breakfast burritos even if they were 2 hours late getting them to us! ( sorry Nance I had to throw that in there ) My day ended at the Dixie center with a pasta dinner shared with family and friends.
Race Day! Holy crap she set the alarm for 2:30 am!!! Kam was out the door at 3 and I was left in bed exhausted as we never really went to sleep the night before. I met her at or around 6. On my way over I was wondering how the day would be as it was rainy and cold! Could we please cancel the marathon and tell the 6,000 runners that due to the rain we are all going back to bed? Just wishful thinking on my part I guess. After a few hours we headed over to the finish line. That's where we spent the next 6 hours watching the runners come across the finish line. My job for the day was to help the national guard catch the runners as they came across the finish line. Not all runners needed help but there are quite a few who when they cross the line need medical attention and have to be walked or carried over to the medical tent. It was nonstop work for 5 hours! They come across in all shapes and sizes and when they go down you had better be ready because you’re getting all that weight! Add in the fact that it was raining and cold and most runners don't exactly smell the best after 26.2 miles! As much work as it was I felt that it was rather gratifying helping these runners who had given it their all in the wet and cold. I'm not sure what you get out of running 26.2 miles but power to them! When I wasn't helping people, I was watching them cross the line and that in itself is awesome! I watched as the first runners crossed the line in triumph. I watched time after time runners cross the line who were just pissed and couldn't believe they had just spent hours of their day running. And of course the inspirational stories were the best! I was at the finish line as Team Brenchley ( Kam blogged about them) crossed. What an amazing story and team! I walked away from congratulating them with tears in my eyes. There were those who qualified for the Boston Marathon... Good job Christian! And there were those who just finished....that's all they wanted to do and they did it! I was so inspired by the ones who just finished that I have actually entertained the thought of running in the race next year. What an idiot I must be! I love my Pepsi and my eating habits suck, so something is gonna have to change if I'm gonna pull that off!
Kami I think you're amazing! What an event you and your staff put on! I feel so blessed to be a part of your life. I have met a lot of great people helping you at events and think I'm a better person for that! I look up to you and love you and can’t wait to be a part of the 2009 St. George Marathon

6 comments:
Great Post Brent!! It really was an awesome event and you were awesome too. Thanks for all your help and for not complaining ONCE (except for the stinky runners, you did mention them a time or two). Hey, good luck with that running idea for next year, that will be something to see!! sorry about the burrito, we'll do better next time.
That was awesome Brent! What an insprirational event! Kami is truly an amazing woman. I'm so glad that you found such an amazing woman that happens to have to adorable children to boot, not to mention a great family also!
I think that would be awesome if you ran in the 2009 St. George Marathon! We would for sure come up there and see that!
We love you all! JoLynn
Gosh, Brent, I'm exhausted just reading about your lack of sleep. I think it's terrific that you are so supportive of your sweet wife but I'm even more impressed at your finish line work. That would be something to catch all those ripe, wet, slippy bodies. I'm sure they all appreciated you. As to the Pepsi? You could just drink Diet Pepsi and consider catching all those people as a terrific workout. Just a thought.
Brent, I have worked 15 of these marathons and they are truly inspiring. I to have entertained the thought of running each year but just remember, the thought goes away quickly and PEPSI is always there for us. Don't give up on Pepsi!!!
Could not be prouder of you for sticking by your wife and getting up early and all to help, makes you a better man, always put your wife first! I hope that I have shown you that is the way to treat your wifew and family, you are a good man a father in Zion.
I am so impressed with Kami and the hard work she does (and she pulls it off beautifully). I have always heard about the marathon on the news and what an event it is & who knew such a mightly little gal was behind it all?!!
Brent YOU inspire me! Not every spouse would drag out of bed on a drizzly cold morning to go do something like that for no pay!
...oh, but I bet you get paid every day don't you? Look at the life you have with your beautiful wife and kids! Dreams do come true and prayers are answered! I love you!
Post a Comment