"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Morning Prayers

We were "LUCKY" enough to be raised in Southern California where they held early morning seminary. So I was "ABLE" to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get ready in the morning. I remember each morning when I woke up I would stumble out of bed to the kitchen and without fail I would find my dad knelt down next to the couch saying his morning prayers before heading out the door to work. I always loved this about my dad. This was one of his greatest examples he set for me. Throughout my life I have tried to follow his example...I used to even kneel by my couch in the front room as I left each morning. I must admit I am not NEAR as diligent as my dad was...or haven't been...until I married my sweet righteous husband who now is the one setting this example in our home. Each morning before work Brent crawls back in bed next to me and we say our morning prayers together. Now this is all fine and good until your husband changes his work schedule to where he is going into work before 5 each morning...which leaves us ONLY until 4:30 A.M. to say morning prayers.

Each day we switch off who says the prayer...unless I just can't quite wake up enough to make sense of the words that are flowing around inside my head. Today was one of those mornings...I remember saying a prayer but I just don't remember what exactly came out of my mouth. I may have blessed the spider I had just killed in the horrifying dream I was having or maybe blessed that my hair would be flat since I had gone to bed with it wet last night and for those with curls...you know what a sight that can be!...these are the things that go on in a persons mind at the wee hours of the night.
Nevertheless I said a much needed prayer and my favorite person left for the day...I just hope I prayed for him to be safe and return home to me tonight.
Today I am grateful for a dad who set numerous examples that he may not even know about and for a husband who has continued those examples...for both who have made me a little better and who have both blessed my life beyond measure!

Don't you just LOVE the men in your life??

9 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Yes I do love all the wonderful men and my little young men too. I'm sure thankful for the examples that they set for us and for them being such good righteous men.

I feel your pain about having to wake up to say prayers at 4:30 a.m. When Brian and I were first married he left for work at 3:20 a.m. When he'd wake me up to say good bye to me in the morning I thought I'd die! We eventually made a deal that I said the evening prayers and he said the morning prayers.

I hope you have a wonderful day!
Love and Miss You All,
JoLynn

McArthurs said...

You too are a great example.. I love reading your blog, it always makes me think and laugh which is great. I also always have dreams about spiders what do you think that means. Ryan gets up at 2:30 am to go to work I wouldn't know or remember if we said a prayer so good for you for at least trying :)

Love ya....

Marianne said...

That was such a sweet post Kami! It reminds me a lot of me and my husband. The first thing he does when he wakes up in the morning is hit the floor on his knees. At night he stays up way too late sometimes and I am half dead when we pray together. I even nodded off once while praying!Aren't we blessed to have such good men in our lives?

Anonymous said...

Sweet post, Kam. You are blessed to have such good men and examples in your life. I'm so happy that you recognize them for who and what they are. I'm so proud of Brent and for the way he is leading his family. He is a great guy and we are all blessed that you were led to him.

Saddie said...

YES! and I'm glad to find that he's not the only one to use the phrase, "butt crack of dawn" ;o)

JoJo and Ralph said...

I remember that about Dad too. And that when we say family prayers, we have to hold hands which isn't weird until you bring "new boy" into the family and he just happens by accident to kneel down next to your dad... and then because he is so cute, he just grabs the man's hand and bows his head like it's no big deal. And you fall more in love right there in the Little Family Room.

Karen Carter said...

Thanks for my cry of the day. What a precious post and what a incredible tribute to your amazing daddy. And now another strong man to lay your heart in his care. God is good!

Bryan and Lyndsey said...

You have many great examples in your likfe. Love them all! We miss you guys a ton!

Gena said...

I had early morning seminary. Where it snowed. And my Dad didn't park in the garage. There wasn't snow every morning but the frost would be up to half an inch thick!

My kids have all done the early morning thing too. I will be the first to admit that I feel terrible not having morning prayers. I admire you and Brent SO much. Isn't he cute? Steve sets his alarm for 20 before he has to get up so he has time for his morning prayers. Yes, I love the man in my life!