"Whatever its composition, the family continues; for families can be FOREVER."
Prez. Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A FIRST Time for Everything

A couple weeks ago I got a call at work from Tammy, who works on our Race Staff. She asked me if I was free to help her run the SLC Marathon EXPO booth the weekend of April 14-16? She was kind of in a jam with all the other race staff already committed to other events and needed someone to go with her. So I said sure. She also informed me that the SLC Marathon Staff had offered us each a spot in one of the four races they offered that weekend and Tammy had "thoughtfully" signed us both up for the Half Marathon.

NOW Tammy is a "runner". She has run the STG Marathon for the past 8 years, has a "running group", wears expensive running shoes, talks the running lingo and so forth. I, on the other hand, run so I can eat cookie dough and still fit into my jeans.

THAT is a BIG difference.

But I agreed to run and was even a LITTLE excited.

So Tammy and I loaded the mini van up with supplies and drove up to Salt Lake Thursday morning.

After the EXPO which was so incredibly BORING...nothing like the St. George Marathon EXPO (toot toot)...that first night we were fortunate enough to eat Lettuce Wraps at PF Chang's. The next night it was Olive Garden for soup and salad...one of my favorites!


Yesterday morning we woke up early...got all decked out in "running apparel", drove over to The Gateway and caught the TRAX (Salt Lake Transit) up to the Start Line.

While on the 20 minute ride to the Start I enjoyed listening to a conversation by three men crammed into the train with me. They began talking about the St. George Marathon, how great the race is, how well organized it is and how they have really enjoyed the "New Director Kami Ellsworth". Then they proceeded to say wonderful things about me and the "personal" touch I have added to the event over the past several years.

I stood there listening, smiling, chuckling and my head "grew two sizes that day".

So I realized something this weekend...it turns out...I'm not sure when it happened, why it happened, if I was aware it was happening or if I'm sure that I even want to be...but I have become "a runner"...and my husband has too.

I ran my first half marathon in a time of 1:53:14!! Not too shabby!


I arrived home to handmade decorations, balloons, flowers and MULTIPLE treats. Brent was such a good dad all weekend. He drove the kids to their various activities, attended birthday parties, cleaned the house, made sure everyone was fed, bathed and looked cute. Thanks Babe for taking care of things while I was gone. It is always so nice to know that, when I have to work, things will still run as usual...worry free.

Thanks also to Mom and Dad for helping with the kids!

So now we prepare for our next Half in June, which Brent and I will run together.


Who woulda thought???

8 comments:

Tonya Mae Wilson said...

You go, girl!! Congrats!! I am SO happy that you have a studly husband that treats you like you deserve. And... isn't it so nice when people you don't even know talk about you NICELY??!! LOVE IT! :~D

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

A BIG Congrats to you on running/finishing the Half Marathon! What an accomplishment! Running a Half or Whole Marathon has never been a dream/goal of mine but I'm always so impressed by people who do set goals like these for themselves, so I guess that means I'm pretty impressed by YOU (which, of course, I am)!!! Keep up the good work with all of your goal setting! Love You

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's ME above, not YOU! My computer was signed in with your name. I'm so sorry! That's embarrassing!

Rebecca said...

NICE!! What a great time, and yes, you are a runner! Honestly, I'm surprised it took you so long to succumb - I mean who can organize so many races and NOT be a runner? It's all so contagious. But really, what a great time:)

Marianne said...

That is so fabulous! I wish we had known you were running! I thought about you several times yesterday as news reports on the marathon came on the TV and I wondered if the SLC Marathon ran as well as YOURS does. How cool to get to be a "fly on the wall" and hear such nice things said about you!!

Oh, and I had my first lettuce wraps from PF Chang's this week. They are so YUMMY!

Kaci said...

That is so great. It sucks that we couldn't be there to see you. But you look very cute and I think that is a very good time. It was fun to see you.

The fly-fisherman's wife said...

Congratulations Kami! You used to mock me when I would run, saying you couldn't understand why anyone would want to do it... well now you know. There is nothing better than a "runner's high", or the feeling of finishing a tough race, or just having a race to look forward to, or being able to fit in those skinny jeans. Whatever the reason, it is a great feeling!
Good job to Brent for making your life wonderful. It is nice to be able to leave for a day or two and know that your kids are taken care of and loved.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Good job you! I'm so proud of you! That is awesome! I thought about you this weekend, Brent had told me you were running in it. That is so great. I thought at one time I might want to do that, but I found out that running 4.2 miles was about all I could do and just that was tough for me. I really admire runners and I wish I was one.

I'm also so happy that Brent was so awesome. I've always been so thankful that Brian could run our house with not skipping a beat when I wasn't home. It's a refreshing feeling to know that all is well when your not there.

Congrats to you! We love you guys!